Core Course Week provides a unique opportunity to apply theories about prostitution and the sex trade – and explore reality. Through a two-day seminar in Copenhagen and a three-day study tour to Western Denmark, you will examine the different Nordic approaches to prostitution and sex work. The Swedish approach for example means that the customer is criminalized, whereas in Denmark it is legal to buy and sell sex. During the week, you will also explore the future of sex work/prostitution where technology, ethics, and humanity blends together as we look into the world of sex doll brothels and love/sex dolls as an alternative to human sex work/prostitution.
The program is supplemented with cultural visits to help you learn more about Danish history and culture to give you a more well-rounded understanding of the community in which you are studying. Cultural visits could include a visit to the modern art museum ARoS, the Women’s Museum, and enjoying traditional food.
- Compare and contrast the different Nordic approaches to prostitution/sex work
- Expand your understanding of how policies play out in real life
- Analyze the pros and cons in the debate on legalizing, decriminalizing, or criminalizing prostitution/sex work
- Meet with stakeholders to understand the differences in the legislative and policy approach to prostitution in Denmark vs. Sweden
- Explore the ethics and legalization of the use of sex dolls, and visit a sex doll brothel
- Meet with an anti-trafficking advocacy group regarding the challenges they face