Students from Entry Visa-Required Countries

Students from Entry Visa-Required Countries

You will need two important cards during your semester abroad: A Danish Residence Permit and a CPR Card. Refer to our resources outlining what each card is used for here.

The guidelines outlined on this page are relevant to students from Entry Visa-Required countries (for example: China, Nigeria, and Turkey). Find a full list of Entry Visa-Required countries here.

Your Legal Residence Process depends on both 1) the passport you enter Denmark on and 2) where you live in or around Copenhagen during your time as a DIS student. It is therefore very important to pay attention to your specific process, as it may differ from that of your peers.

Read the information here closely; DIS will send you individualized instructions on how to apply for your Residence Permit (Step #1) in the months leading up to your departure. A few days before you depart, we will contact you with information about applying for your CPR Card and steps you will take after arriving in Copenhagen. Please be sure to add or whitelist the Student Hub email ( to your ‘safe senders’ or contact list by following these instructions based on your mail provider.

Timeline for Your Legal Residence Process as an Entry Visa-Required Student

Your Legal Residence Process consists of two main steps:

Step #1: Applying for Your Residence Permit

Your Residence Permit is proof you are a legal resident of Denmark during your time as a DIS student. It is especially important to have when traveling.

If you are a student from an Entry Visa-Required country, you are required to have a Danish Residence Permit to enter Denmark. You must apply for your Residence Permit and receive an entry sticker (inserted into your passport) prior to your departure. DIS will be in touch with all students from these countries to advise you on the process in the months leading up to your departure.

Please note: You are responsible for paying the Residence Permit fee and a Consulate fee as part of your Residence Permit application. You will also be responsible for coordinating and paying for travel to a visa processing center. Your school might pay on your behalf; refer to the Tuition and Fees page for more information. If you have further questions, contact

Step #2: Applying for Your CPR Card

Your yellow CPR Card is equivalent to a social security number. It gives you access to social systems, including the use of free Danish healthcare, while living in Denmark. Obtaining a CPR Card is the mandatory second step in your Legal Residence Process.

A few days before your departure, we will send you detailed information about your next steps, along with all relevant documents (i.e. Residence Letter, proof of address) needed for your CPR registration. Please read this email carefully, as it includes important information about how you will apply for your CPR Card during your first week in Copenhagen.

Please note: It is required that you apply for a CPR Card within five days of arriving in Denmark. Depending on where you live, you may have to complete an online application, register in person at your local kommune, or both. Remember to pay attention to your individualized process!

Receiving Your Cards

Approximately 2-3 weeks after you have applied for your yellow CPR Card, both your Residence Permit and your CPR Card will be sent to your home address in Denmark. Please make sure that your name is on your mailbox at your housing site. If you do not receive either card, make sure to contact your kommune to check on the progress.

Need to see a doctor before you receive your CPR Card? You can still access Danish medical care. Find information about visiting a doctor or hospital in Denmark here.

What Should I Do Before Departure?

  1. In the months leading up to your departure, keep an eye out for communications from DIS and follow the instructions you receive from the North American Office about obtaining your Residence Permit
  2. Ensure you have added the Student Hub email ( to your ‘safe senders’ or contact list. Follow these instructions based on your mail provider
  3. A few days before you depart, look out for emails from DIS with important information about your CPR application process. You will have to complete the application for your CPR Card during your first week in Copenhagen

What Do I Need to Enter Denmark on Arrival Day?

When you enter Denmark, you will need to show the entry sticker in your passport and your Residence Permit decision letter.

The entry sticker will be inserted into your passport by the Danish Consulate in New York or your local embassy. The Residence Permit decision letter will be emailed directly to you before you receive your passport back with the entry sticker. You should print this letter and have it on hand just in case more clarification is needed about the length of your stay.