The following are examples of previous successful Faculty-Led Programs, customized and hosted by DIS in partnership with universities, to gather inspiration from.
Custom Programs During the Pandemic
DIS has collaborated on custom programs with Carleton College and Wellesley to enable students to study abroad during the COVID-19 pandemic. Working closely together, DIS and these institutions built a term abroad that matched the academic calendar at home, offered courses to meet the needs of particular student communities, and set program parameters according to local public health guidance and home university policy.
- Carleton College: A specialized fall program as well as a winter program, both in Copenhagen, offered students a number of different courses across disciplines. Students lived with other local students in a Kollegium, or in a Homestay.
- Wellesley: A specialized seven-week program during T2 to students interested in studying abroad in Copenhagen. Students took a total of two courses, and lived together with students from their Wellesley cohort in a Residential Community.
My favorite part about DIS is the balance between the program and free time. I enjoy my classes and the events and Study Tours DIS offers and even with those things I still have a lot of time to bike around myself and go to cafes with friends and do other fun things unrelated to DIS.
Astrid, Carleton College, Fall 2020
Meet some of our Student Bloggers who documented their study abroad experience in Scandinavia during the pandemic:
Other Examples of Custom Programs
- Brandeis: A five-week summer program involving co-teaching between DIS faculty and Brandeis faculty in Economics. The Program included activities using Copenhagen as a classroom, as well as a Danish language and culture introduction, and a three-day Study Tour to Western Denmark
- UCLA: Using Danish author Hans Christian Andersen as inspiration, UCLA spent four weeks in Copenhagen exploring the literary culture in Denmark. In conjunction with standard class time, the curriculum is enhanced by DIS-arranged guest lectures, site visits, and Field Studies to bring the different authors’ writing to life.
- UVA: From the UVA McIntire School of Commerce, UVA worked with DIS on a two-week program in Copenhagen focusing on sustainable practices in Scandinavia, highlighting topics such as green energy, food security, and sustainable transportation practices. The program includes a three-day Study Tour to the island of Samsø, a leader in sustainable communities.
- Washington & Lee: Sent two different programs highlighting CSR (a two-week, first-year seminar and a four-week, third-year practicum). DIS and Washington & Lee University collaborated on site visits to a variety of Copenhagen-based companies which were integrated into the curriculum as case studies.