Extending to Stay for a Full Year at DIS

Interested in spending a full year abroad with DIS?

DIS offers you the option to enroll as a full year student prior to the start of your semester, or seek to extend once you are abroad. Spend two semesters in Copenhagen or one semester in Copenhagen and the other in Stockholm!

Visit the semester page in our Tuition & Fees Section for prices.

How to Register to Study Abroad for a Full Year

Here’s how you register for a full year:

  • Enrolling DIS students
    If you know you want to stay a full year with DIS before you depart, you can indicate your interest in a second semester in Student Registration
  • Current DIS students
    If you are a current DIS student, start the conversation to extend your stay to a second semester, by contacting DIS@DISabroad.org.

Note: You must be in good academic standing at DIS to extend and you must have approval from your home institution.

Full-Year Students: What to Know About Academics

As a full-year student, you have the option to choose a new core course in your second semester, either within your current program if there is more than one option, or within a new program or city location. You can also enroll in any new elective courses that meet your home university’s requirements. Special level II language courses are available for students in their second semester.

At DIS Copenhagen, Architecture & Design and Graphic Design Programs all have integrated, full-year studio options. If you are a foundations-level student in one of these Programs, you can remain at foundations level during your second semester or apply to move up to the advanced studio for your second semester – acceptance is decided by the Program Director.

Full-Year Students: What to Know About Housing

Housing Options

You also have the unique possibility to try out two different housing options (if your home university allows the change), one for each semester. If you enjoy where you live in your first semester, in most cases you can remain there for the second semester. Your housing preferences for the second semester will be discussed once you are a few months into your first semester at DIS, ensuring you have plenty of time to ‘know the ropes’ and feel out what fit would be right for you to request in your second semester.

Note: DIS cannot offer you housing between your two semesters.

What Can I Do Between Semesters?

If you attend DIS for the full year, you have a decision to make about how you want to spend your time over your break between semesters. Some students choose to travel home for the holidays, some travel within Europe, and others stay put in Copenhagen or Stockholm for some non-academic downtime. DIS can store your luggage for you over the break if you will be traveling.

Please note that housing is not provided for you during winter break, so you need to make your own arrangements.

Residence Permit

If you are extending your semester to a full year with DIS, DIS will walk you through what you need to do to also extend your visa at the time you first start seeking your extension.

Note: Visa extensions may require an extra cost.