From experiential learning during field studies, study tours throughout Europe that unlocked new perspectives, to lifelong friendships, our alumni agree: Time abroad with DIS is life-changing!
Having the time to think and explore ideas with people from different backgrounds and cultures, helped me decipher between what I actually believed and what was a societal norm I had grown up with. I attribute so much of that personal growth to time spent with DIS classmates and Danish friends.
Valerie Vanderwest, DIS student in 2003-2004
An experience with DIS provide opportunities to develop new perspectives about the world; alumni also gain new inspiration about how to live as engaged global citizens and make meaningful impacts on the world around them. Our alumni have gone on to design innovative architecture, develop climate change initiatives, serve as healthcare providers, researchers, and politicians, become authentic leaders, educate students of tomorrow, create sustainable social policies, contribute in their local communities – and much more!
Be inspired by the professional and personal lives of DIS alumni in our Alumni Stories.
Bringing Scandinavia Home
DIS students often bring a wealth of memories, new perspectives, and friendships home with them after their time abroad. Read about how a few alumni keep their ‘Scandinavian spirit’ alive.
- How to Stay Connected to Scandinavia
- An Unwavering Commitment to Study Abroad: Amar Helps Underrepresented Students Make Their Way to Scandinavia
- Bringing Danish Culture into Everyday Life: Valerie’s Long-Lasting Relationship with Scandinavia
Left: Teri Flanders and host parents | Center: The Brøns Family | Right: Carsten Pape and Mark Applebaum
Connections made while studying at DIS are often for life! Read about how some DIS alumni are still connected with those that made their DIS experience so memorable.
- A Homestay Story 35 Years in the Making
- Illuminating Alumni: A DIS Homestay Looks 22 Years Back
- Alumnus Mark Applebaum Reflects on His DIS Reunion
- DIS: A Schwartz Family Tradition
Studying at DIS often deepens a student’s existing passions or opens completely new areas of exploration. Read about how DIS impacted the careers of a few alumni.
- Illuminating Alumni: Kelton Minor, Fulbright Scholar
- A New Relationship to Learning: How Jade’s Time Abroad Influenced Her Life and Career
- Self-Guided Research in Stockholm: Mo’s Return to Scandinavia
- Finding a Dream Abroad: Opening a Health Center for LGBTQ+ Youth
Share Your Story
How has DIS impacted your life? We would love to hear your story! If you would like to contribute to our growing catalogue of alumni stories we share on our media platforms, let us know.