Information on Dates and Breaks
If you plan to visit your son or daughter while they are abroad, we recommend that you plan to visit them after their semester or summer session official ends, or during their free break.
See the following links for calendar information:
- Copenhagen semester calendar dates
- Copenhagen summer calendar dates
- Stockholm semester calendar dates (Note: DIS Stockholm students are unable to remain in Sweden after their program is complete due to visa regulations, so if you would like to visit them, it’s best to do so before the program begins or during one of the breaks in the semester.)
There is one official break each semester that all students have simultaneously, however your son or daughter will have one additional week-long break during either Travel Week 1 or Travel Week 2. We recommend that you do not book to visit them during this break until they have confirmed their core course as it will be mandatory for them to travel on one of the travel weeks with their course. This trip is part of their academic course load and they cannot be missed, nor can you meet them at the tour’s location. Students will confirm enrollment in core courses during the registration process pre-departure. Please discuss with your son and daughter after their registration is complete.
Summer students do not have breaks during their summer sessions, so please visit them only before or after the summer session dates.
Where to Stay and Research Advice
Do not expect to stay in your son’s or daughter’s housing when you visit. They can not host overnight visitors. Past parents have reported using the following websites for booking hotels and apartments during their stay:
- airbnb.com (to book a room or apartment directly from a local)
- tripadvisor.com (for reviews and recommendations from other travelers)