Live with Like-Minded Fellow DIS Students
A Living & Learning Community (LLC) is a co-curricular housing option that brings together students with shared interests across DIS and cultivates their passions by allowing their extracurricular interests to shape the way they explore Copenhagen and encounter local culture.
By committing part of your time abroad to the weekly LLC activities, you will have an ideal platform from which to explore, discuss, and reflect on the various cross-cultural experiences that you inevitably will encounter while studying abroad, with your fellow students.
Living & Learning Community Highlights
A DIS Living & Learning Community is more than just a housing option: You should be interested in putting extra time and effort beyond your academic work at weekly LLC activities. In return, you have the chance to uncover the hidden gems that the city has to offer within your LLC theme, reflect on your own personal journey, and become part of a tight-knit community. Committing to an LLC community not only means attending events around the city; it also can help you process and articulate the transformative moments you may experience while studying abroad.
- Cultural Engagement
Weekly LLC activities will give you opportunities to meet locals and explore the LLC theme from a Scandinavian perspective.
Weekly events, in addition to Communal Dinners sponsored by DIS, will help contribute to your creation of a well-functioning housing community
- Personal Growth
You will be challenged to reflect on the way you see yourself and encouraged to reflect on the differences and similarities between Danish and American culture
This housing option is right for you if you are willing to:
- Commit to developing and enriching the community with your fellow DIS students who share your passion for the LLC theme
- Attend weekly meetings and other LLC events (Note: attendance is taken and lack of engagement will lead to removal from the community)
- Keep an open mind when presented with challenging events or topics
- Voice your opinion and take part in discussion with your LLC flatmates
- Live in a residence in the city or metropolitan area
- Commute from home to DIS using the many choices of public transportation available in Copenhagen
- Share a room with other DIS students
- Share a bathroom with fellow students on your floor (can be co-ed)
- Do your own grocery shopping and cook for yourself or your community
- Share cleaning responsibilities for your own room and the common areas in your apartment, such as the kitchen, bathroom, and living room
What This Housing Option Provides
To find out what is included in each housing option, go to Comprehensive Housing and Student Life Inclusions.
Please be aware that you may be asked to contribute a small amount of money (up to 200 DKK) at the beginning of the semester in all LLCs, to cover the expenses of some events.
You will preference your housing choices during the registration process. You may preference up to two LLC themes in your application, but must genuinely be interested in both themes. All applicants, also those with little previous experience with the theme, are considered during the placement process.
DIS will find the best fit for you by using your housing application essay, your housing comments, and other information you have listed in Student Registration.