Live with Like-Minded Fellow DIS Students
A Living & Learning Community is a co-curricular housing option that brings together students with shared interests across DIS and cultivates their passions by allowing their extracurricular interests to shape the way they explore Copenhagen and encounter local culture. The main objectives of this housing option are aimed at enriching your study abroad experience with engaging experiences in the local community, as well as bridging educational learning with daily life in the housing communities.
By living in a community based on common interests, you are given an ideal platform from which to explore, discuss, and reflect on the various cross-cultural experiences that you inevitably will encounter while studying abroad.
Living in a DIS Living & Learning Community is more than just a housing option: You must be willing to put in extra time and effort beyond you academic work at weekly LLC events and meetings. In return, you have the chance to uncover all the hidden gems that the city has to offer within your LLC theme, reflect on your own personal journey, and become part of a tight-knit community centered around your strongest passion.
Living & Learning Community Highlights
- Cultural Engagement
Each LLC has a Coordinator hired to be a local expert within their field. They are excited to share their professional and personal knowledge with you and will push you to engage and understand local perspectives on your LLC theme
Throughout the semester, your goal is to create a well-functioning community. How do you create group identity in such a short period of time? How do you make sure that all voices and personalities are heard when making a decision?
- Personal Growth
Your LLC Coordinator will present you with events on a weekly basis that will challenge the way you see yourself and encourage you to reflect on the differences and similarities between Danish and American culture. Committing to an LLC community not only means attending cool events around the city; it also helps you process and articulate the many transformative moments you experience while studying abroad
This housing option is right for you if you are willing to:
- Commit to developing and enriching the community with your fellow DIS students who share your passion for the LLC theme
- Attend weekly meetings and other LLC events (Note: attendance is taken and lack of engagement will lead to removal from community)
- Keep an open mind when presented with challenging events or topics
- Voice your opinion and take part in discussion with your hallmates
- Live in a residence in the city or metropolitan area
- Commute from home to DIS using the many choices of public transportation available in Copenhagen
- Share a room with other DIS students
- Share a bathroom with fellow students on your floor (can be co-ed)
- Do your own grocery shopping and cook for yourself or your community
- Share cleaning responsibilities for not only your own room, but also common areas on your floor such as the kitchen, bathroom, and living room
What This Housing Option Provides
To find out what is included in each housing option, go to Comprehensive Housing and Student Affairs Inclusions.
Please be aware that you may be asked to contribute a small amount of money (up to 200 DKK) at the beginning of the semester in all LLCs, to cover the expenses of some events.
You will preference your housing choices during the registration process.
We cannot guarantee placement in a LLC for all applicants. LLCs are not meant to be an extension of your formal education as such. Pursuing a major at your home university within your topic of interest does not guarantee you admission into a LLC. Our LLCs should be perceived as great possibilities for life-long learning and students within all of our communities come from diverse backgrounds, which we believe lays a foundation for great discussions within your chosen topic of interest.