Matching You with the Best Housing Placement
We would like to make you aware of how DIS decides to place you in your housing:
1. DIS guarantees housing to all students who request, and pay for, DIS-arranged housing.
2. Your housing application indicates preferences, not a guaranteed spot in that particular option nor a specific accommodation preference.
When applying for housing, you provide three top preferences by housing option type. By doing so, DIS can then match you with the best option based on your housing application essay and other registration factors. All housing placements are made individually.
- Specific housing accommodation preferences (i.e. for single rooms) are examined on a case by case basis. Ensure that you upload all important materials to Student Registration, as well as clearly explain your preference in your housing application
- You can apply for two different themes when applying to an LLC
3. DIS strives to divide you and your classmates from the same home university among various buildings and locations to encourage you to meet new people and engage with that community.*
Most students study abroad to have new experiences and meet new people, so this is the main factor of our housing placements. If you come from a home university who has sent a sizable cohort to DIS, this may result in you being placed in your second or third housing preference.
*Note: If you wish to live in a Homestay: Some hosts open their homes to more than one student at a time and consider it an advantage that the two students know each other already. If you would like to share your Homestay with another DIS student, please make sure to indicate that in Student Registration under “About You” and “Homestay Sharing.” Please also make sure that both of you mention each others’ names in that same section under “Preferred Student.”
4. Requests to live with a specific roommate or for specific buildings and/or locations will not be honored.**
We believe this encourages you to meet new people. DIS will place you in a location where we think you will enjoy living and be successful in engaging with the community. We will make these placements based on the information you provide on your housing registration.
**Note: See #3 to read about the exception to this policy.