ATM/Debit Cards in Denmark
DIS recommends that you use a debit/ATM card that is either a Visa or MasterCard during your time in Denmark.
Taking Your Debit Card Abroad
- Some shops in Denmark do not accept cards without a four-digit pin code; make sure your debit/ATM card has a four-digit pin code you can use
- Tell your bank you are traveling abroad and might take money out from various countries
- Inquire about the fee per ATM withdrawal as well as your daily withdrawal limit, so you can strategize how often you will take out money
- If possible, it is recommended to only use ATMs at local Danish banks to withdraw money (Danske Bank, Jyske Bank). Other ATM companies (such as Euronet) are located all over Europe, but charge very large transaction and conversion fees.
Credit Cards Abroad
Foreign credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express) are widely accepted in Denmark, and often are accepted at department stores, restaurants, taxis, and for making travel accommodations.
For best results in using a credit card in Denmark, follow these guidelines:
- Your card must have a four-digit pin number
- DIS highly recommends that you ask your bank for a credit card with a chip
- If you use a credit card without either a chip, pin, or both, you will need to tell the employee at the cash register that you wish to sign for the payment and do not have a pin
- If you do plan to bring a credit card, check with your company for fee information on international purchases
Recommended Location to Exchange Money in Copenhagen
Located close to DIS:
Tavex Central Station
1577 Copenhagen V
- Favorable exchange rates
- No commission
- A variety of currencies