Students from Entry Visa-Free Countries

Students from Entry Visa-Free Countries

You will need two important cards during your semester abroad: A Danish Residence Permit and a CPR Card. Refer to our resources outlining what each card is used for here.

Watch a quick video introduction below:

The guidelines outlined on this page are relevant to students from Entry Visa-Free countries, including the United States, Canada, the UK, South Korea, and Japan. Find a full list of Entry Visa-Free countries here.

Your Legal Residence Process depends on both 1) the passport you enter Denmark on and 2) where you live in or around Copenhagen during your time as a DIS student. It is therefore very important to pay attention to your specific process, as it may differ from that of your peers.

Read the information here closely and look out for communications from DIS. DIS will send you individualized instructions on how to apply for your Residence Permit and CPR Card. Please be sure to add or whitelist the Student Hub email ( to your ‘safe senders’ or contact list by following these instructions based on your mail provider.

Timeline for Your Legal Residence Process as an Entry Visa-Free Student

Your Legal Residence Process consists of two main steps:

Step #1: Applying for Your Residence Permit

Your Residence Permit is proof you are a legal resident of Denmark during your time as a DIS student. It is especially important to have when traveling.

If you are a student from an Entry Visa-Free country, you may enter Denmark without a Danish Residence Permit and will apply for one after arrival. You should not apply for a Residence Permit independently and are not required to go anywhere in person in the U.S. to apply for your Residence Permit before you arrive in Denmark. However, you will begin the Residence Permit application prior to departure by submitting the necessary documents in Student Registration.

During your first week in Copenhagen, you will be brought via buses organized by DIS to Immigration Services to submit your application in person. DIS staff will assist you with this process, and you will receive an important newsletter from us with details about your appointment time.

About three weeks later, DIS will receive a Residence Letter on your behalf. At this point, you will be ready to proceed with Step #2: Applying for Your CPR Card.

Please note: You are responsible for paying the Residence Permit fee through Student Registration. Your school might pay on your behalf; refer to the Tuition and Fees page for more information.

Step #2: Applying for Your CPR Card

Your yellow CPR Card is equivalent to a social security number. It gives you access to social systems, including the use of free Danish healthcare while living in Denmark. Obtaining a CPR Card is a mandatory step in your Legal Residence Process.

About three weeks after you have gone to Immigration Services, DIS will email you with information about your next steps, along with all relevant documents (i.e. Residence Letter, proof of address) needed for your CPR registration. You can expect this email approximately one month after the start of the semester.

This email will include detailed instructions for registering with your kommune (the municipality you reside in) in Denmark. Depending on where you live, you will either complete an online application or apply in person at your local kommune. Remember to pay attention to your individualized process!

Receiving Your Cards

Your yellow CPR Card will be sent to your home address in Denmark within 2-3 weeks of registering with your local kommune. Please make sure that your name is on your mailbox at your housing site. If you do not receive your CPR Card, make sure to contact your kommune to check on the progress.

Approximately a month and a half into your semester, your Residence Permit will be sent to DIS. You will receive information from DIS about where and when to pick it up.

Need to see a doctor before you receive your CPR Card? You can still access Danish medical care. Find information about visiting a doctor or hospital in Denmark here.

What Should I Do Before Departure?

  1. Submit necessary documents for your Residence Permit application in Student Registration. Log on to Student Registration here
  2. Ensure you have added the Student Hub email ( to your ‘safe senders’ or contact list. Follow these instructions based on your mail provider
  3. As your semester approaches, look out for emails from DIS with important information about your Legal Residence Process