Throughout the semester, you may find yourself in a situation where you need to get a reimbursement from DIS for something that you have paid yourself, but that DIS will cover as part of the comprehensive study abroad fees.
You can be reimbursed in two ways:
- Via a transfer to a PayPal account
- Via a check sent to you home address at the end of the semester
If you have been instructed to request a refund for transportation, food, or other expenses, use the Expense Refund Form linked on this page. The form can be filled out by a staff or faculty, but it can also be initiated by you. See detailed instructions below.
Instructions for How to Apply for An Expense Refund
- Step 1: Take a photograph of the receipt(s). Use JPEG format only. You cannot get a reimbursement without a receipt.
- Step 2: Decide on one of the reimbursement options
- If you select PayPal, you will need to create a PayPal account. Creating a PayPal account is free of charge and there are no fees in relation to the transfer from DIS. Be sure to create a U.S. PayPal account, or a PayPal account in the country where your bank is located
- Step 3: Download the Expense Refund Form for Students and fill in the white areas. Do not fill in the yellow areas. If you have multiple expenses, bundle them into the same form
- Step 4: Attach the receipt(s) and the completed form (in excel format) to an email, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application will be processed in 3-5 working days.
What Expenses are Eligible for Refunds?
Refunds are granted on a case-by-case basis for transportation, food, or other expenses incurred on DIS sponsored travels, as well as ad hoc items throughout the term while on-site. Other examples include expenses paid for DIS-sponsored social events at a housing site, the rental of a bike in relation to a Field Study, or simply expenses in relation to unexpected events and situations. The form linked on this page is used for these purposes only.
You will not be reimbursed for fines received while using public transportation, or to cover transportation to and from the airport for personal travel.
Insurance reimbursements are handled separately, please see more information on the How to Make an Insurance Claim page.
Full term tuition and fees are not reimbursed through this form. Refer to the following pages for full term financial information:
Specialized refunds may be processed in a different manner. DIS will communicate specialized refund eligibility and process requirements directly to students through email and/or additional channels.