The Arts & Culture Living & Learning Community is a highly selective housing opportunity, where you will actively engage yourself in Copenhagen through an artistic perspective.
This is your ideal housing option if you are self-motivated in exploring cultural offerings within visual arts, theater, music, dance, cinema, and architecture and are interested in tackling difficult questions of cultural difference and identity.
You do not need to be an artist or a performer to join; you just need a curiosity for artistic expression in general. However, the community may also decide to do artwork themselves, so be prepared to explore and use your creative side. The program will introduce you to different aspects of the contemporary art scene in Copenhagen. Excursions and artistic projects will work as a fertile ground to grow community and to develop meaningful friendships within the LLC.
Arts & Culture LLC Highlights
- Reflect on how engaging in the arts can positively affect your outlook and challenge your values
- Gain an understanding of contemporary Danish art and culture. What makes a piece of art intriguing and engaging? Does it have to be pretty or skillfully made to deserve a white cube setting? And what about our own participation: how does that shape works or exhibitions
- Venture beyond the city’s most iconic art exhibitions and gain insight into what is stirring in Copenhagen’s underground art scene, and how less established Danish artists work.
- Compare and analyze the different approaches to art and culture in Denmark and the U.S.
Examples of the Arts & Culture LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Take a guided tour of Vesterbro’s niche galleries
- Visit young Danish artist studios to see their work process
- Watch screenings of avant-garde films
- Practice life and figure drawing