Be a Part of an Intercultural Exchange
Living in a Homestay arranged by DIS puts you in direct contact with locals, as you will be matched with a host(s) in the greater Copenhagen area who is interested in inviting you into their home.
- An opportunity to contribute to an intercultural exchange, and a chance to engage yourself in local culture and traditions
- Living with a host that is committed to you and your experience provides you with a support network outside of DIS
- You can potentially gain a lasting connection to people in Denmark
- While you will have a home base, your hosts will respect your personal freedom to explore and be social
Who Are the Hosts?
DIS has a diversity of Homestay hosts, including families with children, single parents, couples, LGBTQ+ households, families of various ethnicities, etc. Your hosts may have young children, grown-up children, or none at all; they may be young, middle-aged, or retired. Prior to your arrival, all hosts have been visited and approved by DIS staff.
This housing option is right for you if, you are willing to:
- Balance spending time with your hosts and hanging out with friends. You will be a real, contributing member of their household, not just a visitor
- Live in a private house or apartment in the metropolitan area
- Commute from home to DIS using the many choices of public transportation available in Copenhagen
- Have your own room or share an adequately-sized room with another DIS student (note: due to the DIS response to COVID-19, you can request a single room without other forms of accommodation documentation required)
- Share most dinners with your hosts and prepare your own breakfast and packed lunch
- Share a bathroom with other members of the household
- Share cleaning responsibilities and help with household chores
What this Housing Option Provides
To find out what is included in each housing option, go to Comprehensive Housing and Student Affairs Inclusions.
You will preference your housing choices during the registration process.
As part of your housing application, you must write a letter to your potential hosts. In addition to introducing yourself to a potential host, this letter is also an important tool used to match you with the most compatible Homestay, so be as honest and detailed as possible.