The Outdoor Living & Learning Community is a highly selective opportunity to take an active role in engaging yourself in life in Copenhagen through sports and an active outdoor lifestyle.
This is your ideal LLC if you want to meet the challenge of exploring the outdoors while living in a city. With your roommates, you get to see and try countless opportunities related to the beautiful city and surroundings of Copenhagen, such as biking, kayaking, hiking, climbing, while also building various outdoor skills and exploring what the concept of being ‘outdoorsy’ really means in a city.
Commitment and Community
Being in the Outdoor LLC means committing yourself to weekly meetings and actively seeking your own adventures with guidance by your coordinator.
You will be challenged to build a community with a shared identity and values within a study abroad context, one that challenges the way you see your own identity. What will your next outdoor adventure be?
Learning Objectives for the Outdoor LLC
- Build a strong sense of community among members of the community through shared experiences
- Explore, connect to, and appreciate the natural environment around Copenhagen and beyond
- Reflect on the many ways to use a cityscape – in Denmark and the U.S. – by gaining a better understanding of combining big city life with outdoor lifestyle
- Experience and acquire practical skills with activities such as kayaking, climbing, urban sports, cooking food over a bonfire, sleeping outdoors, and much more
- Become inspired by LLC guests and fellow students to seek out the next adventure whenever you get the chance
Examples of Outdoor LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Going biking
- Camping out over a weekend
Meet the Outdoor LLC Coordinator
Anton is educated as a Friluftsvejleder (Outdoor Guide) and has a great passion for the outdoors. He is an expert in kayaking, canoeing, and skiing. With a constantly growing expertise in teaching all sorts of outdoor classes, he is slowly becoming a full-time and full-blooded outdoor person.
Due to his education, jobs and general passion for the outdoors, Anton has gathered quite a network within the field and uses this to facilitate many different outdoor activities – even in the city of Copenhagen.
In his spare time, Anton likes to go climbing, kayaking, and biking, but all sorts of sport and movement usually catch his attention. He has been working with the Outdoor LLC since 2014.
Atanasio’s passion for the outdoors started when he was 17 and ventured to Spain for a three-week pilgrimage. The trip was a total contrast to his everyday life; he was a high school student, focusing deeply on his studies, doing all his homework and following the footsteps of modern culture. The pilgrimage put his life in perspective – he saw things from a new angle. He became more aware of who he was and the life he subconsciously had chosen to live.
Since then he’s always searched for contrasts in his life; traveling around the world and seeking fun ways to move and live. He’s never stopped seeking or asking questions! Atanasio has been with DIS since 2017.