Note: This new Study Tour starts in fall 2020.
The United Kingdom has a very strong medical research tradition, as well as a pronounced healthcare system. The National Health Service (NHS) is the publicly funded healthcare system for England, the largest and oldest single-payer healthcare system in the world. During this week-long Study Tour to London, we learn about various aspects of translational medicine, from research leading to new understanding of disease mechanisms to the development of novel diagnostic or therapeutic options for clinical use. By meeting representatives active in the field, clinicians, and scientists, we will be able to explore their current work and learn from their research.
- Broaden your perspectives on possibilities and challenges that arise from research and its application in translational medicine
- Observe the process of translational research by visiting research and clinical scientists at biomedical research institutions
- Compare Sweden, the U.S., and the UK in regards to translational medicine research
- Lecture and tour with the Department of Physiology, Anatomy, and Genetics at Oxford University
- Visit and hear from researchers at the National Heart & Lung Institute, Imperial College of London, and/or University College of London
- Meet representatives who are active in gaining new insights from basic research and translating this into new tools for diagnosis and improved treatments