Core Course Week, including the short study tour, is an integral part of the Gender and Sexuality in Scandinavia curriculum, as it allows you to combine theory learned in the classroom with workshops, visits, and activities.
The week includes meetings with key stakeholders who helped shape Sweden’s gender-equal initiatives such as parental leave, trans rights, children’s rights, etc. We also participate in sex education outreach programs for young Swedes, and meet people who live their daily lives as trans.
You will get a chance to consider your own norms around gender and sexuality, while visiting the homes of families who have chosen to raise their children ‘gender neutrally,’ as well as when gender roles are ‘reversed’ on our night of queer tango.
- Understand the conditions, implications, and challenges of Sweden's gender equal legislations, and policies
- Compare Swedish gender and sexuality norms and values with that of the U.S.
- Explore your own norms and values around gender and sexuality
- Visit the Anti-Discrimination Bureau
- Learn about outreach training and participate in a sex education workshop at RFSU, the Swedish Association for Sexuality Education
- Meet a person living as trans in Sweden