Live with Like-Minded Fellow DIS Students
A DIS Living & Learning Community is a co-curricular housing option that integrates a shared interest through the lens of exploring Stockholm and Swedish culture. The main objectives of this housing option are aimed at enriching your study abroad experience by planning culturally engaging experiences, as well as bridging educational learning with daily life in the housing communities.
By living in a community based on a common interest, you are given an opportunity to explore, discuss, and reflect on cross-cultural experiences you encounter while studying abroad. Fully engaging in the LLC and participating in its weekly activities offers you the opportunity to find out what Sweden and Stockholm have to offer within your LLC theme, and this also offers the chance to reflect on your own personal journey while studying abroad.
Living & Learning Community Highlights
- Cultural Engagement
Each LLC has a Coordinator hired to be a local expert in their field. They are excited to share their professional (and personal!) knowledge and will push you to engage and understand Swedish culture based on your LLC theme
Throughout the semester, your goal is to create a well-functioning community. How do you create group identity in such a short period of time? How do you make sure that all voices and personalities are heard when making a decision? You will play an active role in the governance of your community’s activities with your roommates and Coordinator
Many processes of personal growth are encountered while studying abroad in another country, so the Communities will hold guided reflection exercises to give you a space to reflect on and understand some of these changes (in behavior, knowledge, etc.) that studying abroad has given you
This housing option is right for you if, you are willing to:
- Engage fully in the Scandinavian lifestyle
- Commit to developing and enriching the community with your fellow DIS students who share your passion for the theme of the LLC
- Interact with the local community in various ways
- Attend regular weekly meetings and other LLC events (Note, attendance is taken and lack of engagement will lead to removal from community)
- Live in a residence in the city or the Greater Stockholm Area
- Commute from home to DIS using the many choices of public transportation available in Stockholm – you can use this time to do homework, take a nap, or just listen to your favorite tunes and enjoy the view. Read about Stockholm’s public transportation here
- Share a room with another DIS student(s). The room sizes vary and most often two students share, but up to four people may share a room. A very limited number of single rooms are available
- Share a bathroom with your roommate. A very limited number of private bathrooms are available.
- Do your own grocery shopping and cook for yourself or your community
- Share cleaning responsibilities for not only your own room, but also common areas on your floor such as the kitchen, bathroom, and living room
What This Housing Option Provides
Refer to the Comprehensive Housing and Student Affairs Inclusions to see what is included under this housing option.
Please be aware that you may be asked to contribute a small amount of money (up to 200 SEK) at the beginning of the semester, regardless of which LLC you are in, to cover the expenses of some events.
You preference your housing choices during the registration process.
We cannot guarantee placement in an LLC for all applicants. LLCs are not meant to be an extension of your formal education as such. Pursuing a major at your home university within your topic of interest does not guarantee you admission into an LLC. Our LLCs should be perceived as great possibilities for life-long learning and students within all of our communities come from diverse backgrounds, which we believe lays a foundation for great discussions within your chosen topic of interest.