Students from Entry Visa-Free Countries


As a DIS student studying abroad in Sweden, you are required to apply for and obtain the necessary documentation to reside in Sweden legally.

The guidelines outlined on this page are relevant to students from Entry Visa-Free countries, including the United States, Canada, the UK, South Korea, and Japan. If your passport nationality is not on this list, you are considered ‘Entry Visa-Free’.

Your Legal Residence Process depends on the passport you enter Sweden on. It is therefore very important to pay attention to your specific process, as it may differ from that of your peers.

Read the information here closely and look out for communications from DIS. We will send you individualized instructions on how to apply for your Swedish Visitor’s Permit.

Timeline for Your Legal Residence Process as an Entry Visa-Free Student

Your Legal Residence Process consists of three main steps:

Step 1: Apply for Your Swedish Visitor’s Permit

In the months leading up to your departure, you will receive detailed instructions from DIS on how to apply for your Swedish Visitor’s Permit. You must submit your application and required supporting documents by the deadline indicated in this email. 

It can take 2-3 months for the Swedish government to approve an application once submitted. If you turn in the paperwork late, your application may not be approved until after your arrival in Sweden – in which case your travel in and around Europe may be restricted. It might also impact how soon you will be invited to visit the Swedish Embassy to present your passport for verification. 

Step 2: Visit Swedish Embassy in Washington D.C. for your appointment 

As of November 1, 2022, all applicants will need to visit the Swedish Embassy in Washington D.C. to present their passport for verification. You will receive an invitation to book your appointment from the Swedish Migration Agency via email after your application has been submitted to the Swedish Embassy and before final approval.   

Once your application is approved, you will receive an approval letter. This is not your actual visa; rather, it is a formal letter indicating you have permission to live in Sweden. Your approval letter will be emailed to you within a few weeks of your departure to Sweden. You must carry it with you as you fly to Europe. 

After you arrive in Sweden, you will be able to proceed with the next step. 

Step 3: Submit Biometrics in Stockholm

During your first week in Stockholm, you will be brought to the Migration Agency to submit your biometrics. DIS staff will help you with this process, and you will find out more information in the days leading up to your arrival in Sweden.

Receiving your Residence Permit Card

Approximately six weeks after arrival, you will receive a Swedish Residence Permit Card in the mail. When traveling, you should always carry your passport and Residence Permit Card with you.

What Should I Do Before Departure?

  1. Submit necessary documents for your Swedish Visitor’s Permit application in Student Registration. Log on to Student Registration here
  2. Ensure you have added the Student Hub email ( to your ‘safe senders’ or contact list. Follow these instructions based on your mail provider
  3. As your semester approaches, look out for emails from DIS with important information about your Legal Residence Process

Important: You must submit your application to DIS by the deadline indicated in the email. The entire application process can take up to two months to complete. Contact DIS by calling 800 247 3477 or email if you have questions.