Throughout the semester, you may find yourself in a situation where you need to get a reimbursement from DIS for something that you have paid yourself, but that DIS will cover as part of the comprehensive study abroad fees. If you have been instructed to request a refund for transportation, food, or other expenses, use the Expense Refund Form linked on this page.
You can be reimbursed in two ways:
- Via a transfer to a PayPal account around the 15th day of each month
- Via a check sent to you home address at the end of the semester
Instructions for How to Apply for An Expense Refund
- Step 1: Take a photograph of the receipt(s). Use JPEG or PDF format. You cannot get a reimbursement without a receipt.
- Step 2: Decide on one of the reimbursement options
- If you select PayPal, you will need to create a PayPal account. Creating a PayPal account is free of charge and there are no fees in relation to the transfer from DIS. Be sure to create a U.S. PayPal account, or a PayPal account in the country where your bank is located
- Step 3: Complete and submit the Expense Refund Form for Students with receipts attached. If you have multiple expenses, bundle them into the same form (you can bundle up to 10 expenses in the same form)
Your application will be processed within a few working days. You will be informed whether it is approved or denied. If it is approved, we will begin processing the payout according to your reimbursement option selection.
What Expenses are Eligible for Refunds?
Expenses are eligible for refund in an instance where a DIS faculty or staff has given you explicit approval beforehand. Examples of eligible refunds:
- Expenses related to a Covid-19 isolation, e.g. food stipend, taxi, etc.
- A one-time purchase in connection with a field study
- Approved funds from the housing team at DIS
What Expenses are Not Eligible for Refunds?
Fines received while using public transportation, or to cover transportation to and from the airport for personal travel.
Insurance reimbursements are handled separately, please see more information on the How to Make an Insurance Claim page.
Full term tuition and fees are not reimbursed through this form. Refer to the following pages for full term financial information:
Specialized refunds may be processed in a different manner. DIS will communicate specialized refund eligibility and process requirements directly to students through email and/or additional channels.