Stockholm: An Active City
Stockholm is unique, as it is a vibrant metropolis located on 14 islands, with fantastic nature just at your doorstep. With fellow members of the community, you explore this nature by going on various excursions, with the goal of building outdoor skills and exploring the concept of ‘outdoor’ and what it really means.
Commitment and Community
Living in the Outdoor LLC means committing yourself to weekly meetings and planning activities that keep you active and connected to Stockholm’s outdoor community.
You will be challenged to build a community that creates a shared identity and values within a study abroad context, one that challenges the way you see your own identity.
Learning Objectives for the Outdoor LLC
This is your ideal LLC if you want to meet the challenge of exploring the outdoors while living in a city. By living in the LLC, you will:
- Engage in the Scandinavian lifestyle
- Build a strong sense of community among members of the community through shared experiences
- Explore, connect to, and appreciate the natural environment around Stockholm and beyond
- Organize, plan, and participate in an event that reaches out to the surrounding community
- Document and share your experiences with your fellow students
Examples of Outdoor LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Discovering Sweden’s nature, specifically in Stockholm and the surrounding area
- Ice skating
- Going on bike trips
- Camping out over a weekend
- Joining a local running club
- Hiking in the Swedish countryside
Meet the Outdoor LLC Coordinator
Cat is a lifelong outdoor enthusiast with a love of nature and has been an active hiker and explorer discovering new trails and adventures in a number of different countries. Originally from Ireland, Cat lived in San Diego, California for many years, and now calls Stockholm home.
After a number of years living in the city, Cat is very much looking forward to continuing to learn about and collectively explore Stockholm with the Outdoor LLC — a wonderful opportunity to introduce DIS students to some of the amazing outdoor activities that Stockholm has to offer. With DIS since 2017.