To allow you the flexibility to plan independent travel for the semester and to take advantage of travel benefits such as frequent flyer miles, you are responsible for booking your own flight to Stockholm. DIS will welcome you to Sweden at Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN), and will ensure you get from the airport to your housing.
Read this page prior to booking your flight, so you are prepared for smooth travels.
Choosing Your Flight
- Book your flight to arrive on your specified Arrival Day. Find your Arrival Day on the DIS Calendar
- If you arrive in Stockholm between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Arrival Day, you will be greeted by DIS and transported to your housing
- We strongly encourage you to have a return itinerary before your arrival in Sweden. While it is legal for you to travel to Sweden on a one-way flight, we have no control over airline officials and their understanding of immigration laws. To avoid complications, it is best to fly to Sweden having a return flight back to the U.S. at the end of the semester
- When booking your return flight, note that your housing must be vacated by noon on the last day of DIS housing. Earlier departure may result in missing a final exam which will greatly affect your grade, as final exams cannot be rescheduled. Note: DIS does not provide transportation to the airport at the end of the term
- When you have booked your flight, enter your flight details including airline, flight number, arrival date, and time in your Student Registration. DIS must have this information to plan for your arrival. Sign on to Student Registration here
Recommended Resources Before Purchasing Your Ticket
- Student travel agencies such as Student Universe tend to offer discounted student rates. They can be accommodating when a change or cancellation is made to the flight, as they tend to charge nominal fees for such changes compared to the fees charged by most airlines and travel agencies
- Flight search engines, such as Kayak, provide a quick and easy method for comparing multiple airlines at one glance
- Call the airline directly for concrete information, special deals, and to inquire whether frequent flyer miles may be applied to the ticket
- Membership in frequent flier mile programs is often free, so make sure to look out for these. Sign up for a frequent flier account with any airline you travel on
What Happens Once I Land?
If you land between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., you will be greeted by DIS and taken to your housing. To read more about Arrival Day and the three-day Arrival Workshop that follows, find information on the Arrival and Orientation page here.