Most universities in Stockholm do not provide housing for students on campus. Instead, Studentboende housing arrangements, co-ed dorm-style residential buildings located throughout the city, accommodate students from different institutions across the greater Stockholm area. While living in a Studentboende, you will get the opportunity to meet Swedish and international students studying diverse disciplines for varying lengths of time, since Swedes and Europeans do not pursue higher education at a specified age or time.
The number of other DIS students living in your Studentboende will vary, so choose this housing option if you are ready to proactively meet Swedish and international students by knocking on your neighbor’s door!
- Meet Swedish and international students, while still having a DIS support system
- Live alongside students, both from DIS and local universities in Stockholm, who come from a variety of backgrounds and are involved across the city in diverse ways
- Have the opportunity to be selected as part of a committee run by the Social and Residential Advisor (SRA) and fellow students, which facilitates communication in the residence to ensure a positive living environment and arranges social events throughout the semester
- Have an opportunity to live independently and learn important life skills such as cooking your own meals and navigating the city
This housing option is right for you if you are willing to:
- Be independent and seek friendships with your hallmates, initiating social events at the start of the semester,
- Commute from home to DIS using the many choices of public transportation available in Stockholm – you can use this time to do homework, take a nap, or just listen to your favorite tunes and enjoy the view
- Share a room with another DIS student or have your own room
- Share a bathroom with other residents on your floor (note: bathroom facilities might be shared with members of the opposite sex) or maintain/clean your own private bathroom
- Do your own grocery shopping and cook for yourself in a kitchen you share with your hallmates
- Share cleaning responsibilities for your own room, as well as the common areas such as the kitchen, bathroom, and living room
You will preference your housing choices during the registration process.
If you are placed in a Studentboende, DIS will find the best fit for you by using your housing comments and information you have listed in registration, as well as the mandatory short essay, where you specify what pros and cons you imagine might be in this housing option.