During our three-day study tour in Skåne, Sweden’s southernmost county and home to both the vibrant city of Malmö and the university town of Lund, we visit biomedical engineers in both the lab and in industry, exploring current initiatives and research. Through discussions, visits, and hands-on practice, we investigate how biomedical engineering is realized and applied in the Swedish context and begin to explore the importance of close collaborations with neighboring Denmark.
- Broaden your perspective on biomedical engineering, in addition to gaining further insight into Swedish approaches to research and development
- Get a closer look at biomedical engineering and its impact on addressing pressing human health needs
- Connect with practitioners in the field and learn the importance of collaboration across institutions and borders to achieve biomedical engineering breakthroughs
- Visit the faculty of biomedical engineering at Lund University to learn about their latest collaborations, including construction of a stem cell model mimicking early phases of human brain development
- Engage the Lund Alliance for Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, a multi-disciplinary group combining advanced technologies in clinical practice with fundamental discoveries in physics, mathematics, engineering and medicine
- Speak with researchers at Malmö University about their work with the Danish-Swedish life sciences collaboration initiative, Medicon Valley Alliance, engaging joint research initiatives and developing strategic cooperation in the Öresund region linking Sweden and Denmark
- Get hands-on at Open Lab Skåne, a collaborative project between Malmö University, Lund University, and SmiLe Incubator, to facilitate innovation by providing laboratory space and access to equipment and expertise in the fields of life science, materials science, and chemistry