This week-long Study Tour is designed to show you different aspects of the biomedical profession and illustrate the connections between industry and university research, and how the transition from academic research to business development occurs. You will step inside the world of biomedicine by touring labs, visiting biotech companies and research labs, and hearing from experts in the field.
You also have the opportunity to ask questions and engage in discussions to further develop your understanding of how classroom theories translate into a professional context. This study tour will also introduce you to the various careers in biotechnology that await you after graduation.
In addition, the program is supplemented with relevant cultural visits and events to help you learn more about Scottish culture and contextualize your studies.
- Learn about the newest and upcoming biotechnology-based methods for diagnosis and treatment of diseases
- Observe the dynamics of drug discovery and development through visits to biomedicine and biotech research facilities
- Meet some of the active players in the transfer of technology from university to business and explore their work
- Visit the Roslin Institute, Research Centre for basic and translational science
- Attend a lecture at Fios Genomics, a provider of bioinformatics data analysis services to Pharma and Academia for drug development and applied research
- Hear about the challenges of having a spin-out company from Bryoactives' CSO