II. Attendance – It’s Required and Graded
The schedule below is the weekly class schedule at DIS for fall and spring semester. Most classes meet twice per week for 1 hour and 20 minutes on either Mondays and Thursdays or Tuesdays and Fridays. Wednesdays are reserved for mandatory course-integrated Field Studies. (The Architecture & Design and Child Development and Diversity Core Course schedule differs somewhat.) Most 3-credit courses meet 23 times per semester. Some courses meet fewer times of longer duration, and Core Courses with integrated Study Tours meet fewer times in the Copenhagen or Stockholm classroom due to the academic content of the tours.
1. Attendance and Participation: Please give this section particular attention.
- Attendance at all scheduled classes is required, and each student is individually responsible for all material covered or assigned in each and every class. Likewise, attendance at Field Study sessions and Study Tours is mandatory, without exception. Participation in the full orientation program in Copenhagen or Stockholm is also mandatory for all students.
- Full attendance is a formal requirement for continued enrollment at DIS. Missing classes may, after warning, result in dismissal from individual courses, which will result in an “F”, or dismissal from the DIS program. Faculty will inform the registrar or program director and a meeting will be called with the student. The student will not be allowed to continue the course until the meeting has taken place.
- Individual travel cannot take place during the semester on days scheduled for class instruction, Field Study sessions, or Study Tours. Such travel must be limited to the announced breaks, or the time before or after the semester. Absences caused by missed or canceled flights during individual travel will be considered unexcused and missed assignments, quizzes, and exams will be given a zero percent, regardless of efforts made to arrive on time.
COVID-19 and Attendance During Remote Learning
We all have a collective responsibility to avoid the spread of COVID-19 at DIS. Throughout this semester, please monitor yourself carefully for symptoms of COVID-19 (dry cough, high temperature, breathing difficulties, sore throat, headache, muscle pain, loss of smell/taste).
If you are in Copenhagen and experience any of these symptoms, please stay home and contact the DIS emergency phone.
If you experience any of these symptoms, but you are otherwise well and isolating due to possible exposure or mild symptoms, it is your responsibility to keep up with your coursework remotely. If you are unwell due to COVID-19 and unable to attend class remotely or study, please email your faculty and Academic Support at email@example.com immediately. Your absence will be excused. Your faculty will work with you to ensure you are able to make up missed course content due to illness. You are still responsible for completing any missed work.
2. Graded participation: Active participation is included in the computation of final grades. Attending all classes and actively participating as appropriate contributes to your overall course grade at the end of the semester. Unexcused absences during the semester, including all academic activities inside and outside of the classroom, will have a negative impact on your active participation grade. Exceptions to this policy will be made only under very unusual and unexpected circumstances. The decision to grant an exception will be at the discretion of the Registrar, in collaboration with the instructor or program director.
3. Study Tours: For all DIS Study Tours, you are, without exception required to travel to the destination with your group and you cannot join the tour from another destination. After the tour is completely over, however, you may take off on your own. In that case, you will have to pay your own return ticket to DIS.
4. Missed exams: You cannot miss a quiz or exam and you will not be given the option of retaking the test, except in cases of verifiable illness. Instead, you will receive 0 points for that exam even if the absence cannot be avoided, e.g. if your flight is delayed or canceled, you overslept, etc.
5. Departure date: Do not schedule a flight or plan to leave Denmark until AFTER the last day of the final exam schedule. Even if your syllabus does not state an exam or a presentation during the exam period, faculty have the option of scheduling make-up classes, presentations, exams etc. up until the last day of finals week. Final exams will not be rescheduled under any circumstances and students who do not take the final exam will receive a zero percent on the exam, or, at the discretion of the faculty, the entire course.
6. Religious holidays: If you plan to miss class in order to observe an important holiday relevant to your faith, make sure you request permission to miss class from the faculty in advance. You are responsible for the content of the missed classes and must make up any missed work.
7. Missing classes or exams due to illness: Failure to take a test or exam at the scheduled class time and place will result in zero points earned for that test or exam. No exceptions to this policy will be made except in cases of documented illness or an immediate-family emergency, and you must notify your faculty before the exam or test. The make-up exams will usually be held in the Registrar and Academic Counselor’s office and must be scheduled to take place as soon as possible and before the next class meeting, when possible. You will need to schedule the make-up exam with both your faculty and the Registrar by emailing the faculty and firstname.lastname@example.org