Apply to Become a DIS Student Photographer
What Do DIS Student Photographers Do?
Student Photographers are tasked with creative photo assignments throughout the semester to help tell the story of all aspects of the DIS experience. As visual storytellers, they assist the Communications & Marketing Department in documenting student life at DIS – everywhere from the quiet moments during a morning commute to DIS to the back of classrooms to capture a faculty member’s lecture.
Student Photographers create visually compelling content for both print and digital channels, such as the annual print catalog, website, social media, and advertisements. Their assignments may include:
- Photographing Study Tours, Field Studies, classrooms, and DIS events as a fly-on-the-wall
- Taking over social media accounts (primarily on Instagram Stories)
- Assisting in planned photoshoots of Homestays and portraits of other students
Why Should You Apply?
- You’ll build your skill set and portfolio abroad, and your photos will be used in DIS catalog, web, advertising, and social media
- Your time spent with the Communications & Marketing Team can be noted as a non-credit internship on your future resume, and at the end of the semester, you can request a letter of recommendation or LinkedIn recommendation to build your resume*
- You’ll join a community of creative students interning for the Communications & Marketing Department. We’ll invite you to various events where as a group, you will share your photos and get feedback both from a marketing and photography perspective
- At the end of the semester, you will be invited to a special thank you dinner, to celebrate the semester and to thank you for all that you’ve contributed
*Please note that this is an experience-building ambassadorship and is not a paid position.
What Are We Looking For?
- Photographers with intermediate or above photography skills, who are proficient in using DSLR cameras with experience in editing software such as Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom
- Storytellers with a strong passion for digital media, branding, and marketing, and ability to utilize social media platforms (primarily Instagram)
- Ambassadors who are outgoing and interested in connecting with current students as well as inspiring future students, and enjoying capturing people-centered stories
- Students with strong communication skills, including time management and organization skills, as you will be expected to complete assignments alongside academic and social commitments
How to Apply
Fall 2019 students, send your application to email@example.com by August 15, 2019, including:
- A short statement of interest including your past experiences and what you hope to get out of the position (no more than 250 words)
- A link to an online portfolio or gallery of your work
- A link to a public Instagram account
- The model of your camera (DIS will also have high-quality cameras for you to sign out for assignments, however, a limited supply)
- Home University/College
- DIS Program and core course
- DIS housing you have listed as your first choice or have been placed in.
Positions are competitive! Be sure to contact us by the deadline.