The short Study Tour, as a part of Core Course Week, is designed to give you a more nuanced understanding of how classroom theories apply to the real world environment. You will spend two days in a seminar in Copenhagen and three days in Western Denmark on Study Tour exploring and analyzing different clinical facilities related to the course.
Through visits to mental institutions, you will gain a deeper understanding of the historical roots of psychology in Denmark. You will learn how the Danish welfare system provides for mental health patients and the challenges that go along with that. You will also gain insight into contemporary differences between the U.S. and Danish approaches to clinical psychology.
The Study Tour program is supplemented with visits to help you learn more about history and culture of Denmark, as well as give you a more well-rounded understanding of the environment in which clinical psychology operates.
- Explore the Danish approach to clinical psychology
- Analyze how components of clinical psychology can be applied in practice in various settings
- Reflect on questions raised during visits and relate them to your understanding of clinical psychology in a European context
- Discuss with local service providers and community members about the most pressing mental health issues they experience
- Visit a mental health facility to discuss the challenges for professionals in an 'isolated' community
- Meet with practitioners in psychological practice to investigate the application of clinical theory