Apply to Become a DIS Student Videographer
We are looking for students to intern with the DIS Marketing & Communications Department to continue our video storytelling tradition! Each semester DIS Student Videographers collaborate on the semester yearbook video as a visual compilation of their semester abroad.
What Do DIS Student Videographers Do?
You will be trained by the Communications & Marketing Department at the start of the semester and work within a team of fellow Student Videographers throughout the semester to create a yearbook video. Within the team there are three defined positions you can apply for:
- Producer – this team member drives the project concepts and timelines, sources the music, and coordinates the group
- Editor – this team member is in charge of collecting all footage and cutting it together, works through edit rounds and branding with the DIS Marketing & Communications Department
- Cinematographer – often multiple team members are assigned this role. While all team members do shoot film throughout the semester, it is the Cinematographers who take on additional special shoots to meet the goals of the team’s project
Why Should You Apply?
- Your time spent with the Marketing & Communications Department can be noted as a non-credit internship on your future resume, and at the end of the semester, you can request a letter of recommendation or a LinkedIn recommendation to help build your resume*
- You’ll build your skill set and portfolio abroad, and your videos will be used in DIS web and social media material
- You will be a DIS ambassador – helping to inspire future students and set their expectations about what the real experience is like
- You’ll join a community of creative students interning for the Marketing & Communications Department – sharing ideas and reviewing each other’s work
- At the end of the semester, you will be invited to celebrate your work and semester at DIS, over a concluding thank you dinner!
*Please note that this is an experience-building ambassadorship and is not a paid position.
What Are We Looking For?
- It is preferred that you have previous experience in creative short filmmaking
- You must be comfortable in one of the following aspects of video making – filming, editing, or producing
- You should be outgoing and willing to work with others and to network with others for inclusion videos – as you’ll see from past videos – we are all about people here!
- Good time management and organization skills, as you will be expected to complete the video assignment alongside your academic and social commitments
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for a Fall 2021 Student Videographer position apply by August 19th, 2021.
Submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following information:
- Link to previous video work online (Youtube, Vimeo, etc.) with an explanation of how you were involved in the making of the video (production, filming, editing, or all of the above)
- A short statement of why you would make a great DIS Student Videographer (no more than 250 words)
- If you will be bringing your own gear abroad, note the model and year of your camera and/or video editing package
- We will contact you to let you know if you have made our shortlist of candidates a few days prior to the semester start to invite you to an interview during Arrivals Week.
Chosen candidates will be notified by email within the first two weeks of the semester.
Positions are competitive! Be sure to contact us by the deadline.