The Folkhögskola is a unique living and learning tradition, dating back 150 years, which encapsulates the vibrant heritage of Scandinavian education.
Imagine living on the quiet campus of a small liberal arts college with 50-70 local and international students ages 20-30. You spend your days in class at DIS, and your nights and weekends at the Folkhögskola, studying alongside fellow residents or exploring the surrounding nature.
- An independent housing option where you take charge of your own schedule, meals, and social life
- Live like a local among Swedish and international students
- Unique and picturesque location in forested, serene nature surrounded by water
This housing option is right for you if you are willing to:
- Be self-sufficient and independent
- Be proactive in getting involved in Folkhögskola student activities
- Live in the idyllic outskirts of Stockholm where you have access to beautiful nature
- Commute from home to DIS using the many choices of public transportation available – you can use this time to do homework, take a nap, or just listen to your favorite tunes and enjoy the view. Read about Stockholm’s public transportation system here
- Do your own grocery shopping and cook for yourself
- Share a kitchenette and bathroom with a DIS roommate
- Share cleaning responsibilities for the kitchen area and bathroom
- Live in a single bedroom
- The Folkhögskola is located on the beautiful forested island of Bosön
- Hosts students who are training for a career in sports and the school is run by the national sports association of Sweden; therefore, you have access to on-site training facilities such as outdoor fields, indoor swimming pool, gym, and track space
- Located right on the water with nearby forests
- Stay in an apartment with your own bedroom and a shared bathroom/kitchenette with one other DIS student
- Cook and eat in a kitchen that you share with your roommate (great if you want to be independent)
You preference your housing choices during the registration process.
If you are placed in a Folkhögskola, DIS finds the best fit for you by using your housing application essay, potential housing comments, and other information you have listed in Student Registration.