Amsterdam is a dynamic city known for it’s artistic history, natural beauty, and very liberal attitudes toward topics long considered taboo in other cultures. The cityscape of tree-lined canals, quaint cafes, and bustling bike lanes blends seamlessly with a thriving red light district which has operated for centuries right in the heart of the city. On this Study Tour to Amsterdam, you will explore the many facets of human sexuality through meetings with local organizations, discussions with sex workers and sex therapists, and visits to clinics to learn who their clients are, what they need, and what methodologies are used in treatment. Throughout the tour, you will see theories from the classroom translate into real-world experiences, all while challenging your own preconceptions.
The academic visits are supplemented with cultural visits to help you learn more about Dutch history and culture, providing you a more well-rounded understanding of the communities in which you are studying. In the past, cultural visits have included touring the Anne Frank House, sailing through the city’s canals, and enjoying traditional Dutch cuisine.
- Gain an appreciation for how Amsterdam has created a support/safety system for sex workers
- Acquire knowledge related to integrating sex therapy into a couples therapy session
- Gain insight into the use of sexual surrogates for people with disabilities
- Tour Amsterdam’s ‘Red Light District’ and talk to a sex worker
- Visit the Sex Museum of Amsterdam
- Visit a Sexolog’s practice and hear about the clients they treat and the methodologies they use