You are responsible for booking your own flight to begin your summer abroad at DIS. Prepare yourself for smooth travels by reading this page prior to booking!
Choosing Your Flight
DIS recommends waiting to book your flight until within a few months of your departure for Scandinavia. When the time comes, below are additional recommendations:
- Book your flight to arrive on your specified Arrival Day. Find your Arrival Day on the DIS Calendar here
- If you arrive in Denmark or Sweden between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Arrival Day, you will be greeted by DIS and transported to your housing
- Some students choose to arrive a day or two early in order to get a jump on jet lag, or to take advantage of a lower cost (or more direct) flight. While you cannot move into DIS housing before Arrival Day, we will tell you where and when to meet up with DIS on Arrival Day in order to move into your housing.
- Students arriving after 3:00 p.m. on Arrival Day will be responsible for transportation to their housing site and staff will not be present at the airport upon arrival.
- Book a round trip flight (note: if you are attending DIS in both locations, book a multi-city flight). While it is legal for you to travel to Scandinavia on a one-way flight, you could be held up by gate agents or border control if you cannot show confirmed plans to depart Denmark/Sweden.
- Opt for as few layovers, in as few countries, and on as few airlines as possible.
- When booking your return flight, note that your housing must be vacated by noon on the last day of DIS housing. Earlier departure may result in missing a final exam which will greatly affect your grade, as final exams cannot be rescheduled.
- The majority of students attending DIS are classified as ‘entry visa-free’ and are allowed to enter Denmark or Sweden with simply a valid passport. Read more about Schengen Law here. If you require a visa to study in Scandinavia for the summer, DIS will contact you via email with application instructions
- When you have booked your flight, enter your flight details in your Registration no less than 30 days before your arrival. Sign in to your Registration here
Recommended Resources: Before Purchasing Your Ticket
- Flight search engines, such as Kayak, provide a quick and easy method for comparing multiple airlines at one glance, however DIS recommends you purchase your flight directly from your airline of choice or a trusted travel agent. This will allow you to work directly with the airline/agent in case of any changes. Past students have had trouble with re-booking or refunds when using a third-party booking site.
- Call the airline directly for concrete information, special deals, and to inquire whether frequent flyer miles may be applied to the ticket
- Frequent flier membership programs are often free, so make sure to look out for these. Sign up for a frequent flier account with any airline you travel on.
What Happens Once I Land?
If you land between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., you will be greeted by DIS and taken to your housing. To read more about Arrival Day and the three-day Arrival Workshop that follows, find information on the Arrival and Orientation page here.
What About Transferring Between Stockholm and Copenhagen?
If you have signed up for sessions in both Stockholm and Copenhagen, DIS provides free transportation from one city to another. Be sure to reserve your spot by completing the Transferring between Stockholm and Copenhagen form on Registration. Read about transferring between Stockholm and Copenhagen here.