The Week-Long Study Tour to Sweden and Finland forms an integral part of the studio curriculum by broadening your understanding of how design shapes human experience. You will examine graphic design by studying cultural destinations in Stockholm, Helsinki, and the surrounding areas. By visiting sites and immersing yourself in the environment, you will begin to identify cultural differences through visual and graphic expression.
The sites visited, as sensory experiences, provide you with an opportunity to develop your critical observation skills and diagrammatic and representational proficiency. Simultaneously, you will be equipped with a vocabulary of design concepts, strategies, and materials, which can be applied in your own creative work in studio and beyond.
- Study graphic design as manifest in contemporary and traditional sites in Sweden and Finland
- Meet local offices and experts in the industry and learn about cutting edge graphic design
- Develop sketching and note-taking skills for recording impressions of sites in a journal
- Visiting Hyper Island, SoFo, Kiasma Museum, and the Espoo Museum of Modern Art
- Exploring showrooms of Scandinavian brands, Design House Stockholm, Artek, and Marimekko
- Discussing with practicing Scandinavian graphic designers at Söderhavet and Agency Leroy