DIS Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
DIS is committed to building an inclusive learning environment in a Scandinavian context. In doing this, we want to provide a place for discussion and debate of different views, while we uphold our unwavering commitment to diversity and respect for others.
We believe that diversity in all aspects of the educational environment is necessary for students to reach their full potential and develop life skills essential for engaged citizenship. We want to create a community in which each member is welcome and supported, across religious, racial, ethnic, gender, socio-economic backgrounds.
The Student Body
DIS students come from approximately 200 distinguished colleges and universities throughout North America. Approximately eight percent of the DIS student population are international students studying at North American universities. Students come from small or medium-sized liberal arts colleges, large state institutions, from urban, rural, as well as suburban places.
Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan
DIS has a Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan, with the following four goals:
- A good learning and teaching environment
- An inclusive culture
- More knowledge and collaboration
- Better access to DIS for underrepresented students
What We are Working Toward
- Improving access for underrepresented students – by revising our scholarship model and developing more summer programs, faculty-led programs, and customized programs
- Learning from the students – focus group with diversity scholarship recipients about their experiences at DIS
- Raising awareness among faculty through training and inspiration