Since you spend two weeks in Copenhagen with DIS and two weeks in Athens with CYA, you will travel on two short Study Tours instead of one week-long Study Tour (as with most courses in Session 3). You will spend two of your weekends sailing out to the islands of Naxos in Greece and Samsø in Denmark to explore local food traditions.
Study Tour Objectives
- Strive to understand the terroir and how it works in tandem with other forces in shaping the local food culture
- Gain insight into the factors that affect the production and consumption of food
- Improve skills in tasting and assessing produce
Samsø is known for producing high-quality sustainable vegetables such as potatoes and carrots. These are staples in traditional Nordic cuisine. Additionally, Samsø has a unique island climate with rare indigenous plants that chefs have recently started to explore. While on Study Tour, we explore how the terroir of Samsø, as well as history of the island, inform local practices around food production and consumption. We will meet with manufacturers of produce, sample their goods and learn about how they are used.
- Visit a farm or go on a vegetable safari
- Forage with a local expert
- Meet a local chef
The picturesque island of Naxos is the largest of the Cyclades. Only a few hours from Athens, it has been a cultural center for millennia. While at Naxos, we sample local specialties, meet with producers of food, and gain insight into traditional craft around food production. Our visit will illustrate how history, identity, and terroir have been central in shaping contemporary practices around food production and consumption as well as some of the skills involved in traditional production.
- Visit an agricultural cooperative
- Tour the Olive Oil Museum
- Meet a local cheesemaker