On this study tour, you will visit a variety of organizations and hear from activists working with sex education and sexual reform. At locations such as Pro Familia, Germany’s equivalent to Planned Parenthood, Deutche Aids, and gay and lesbian associations, you will learn about the ways sexual norms and identities have formed and are still being shaped by reform and education in Germany. Throughout the week, you will compare and contrast contemporary German strategies for sexual education and reform with Danish and other European countries’ strategies. Berlin is central to the early history of sexual reform, and is still is one of the most sexually progressive places in Europe.
- Gain insight into the central role of Germany in the European history of sexual reform
- Reflect on your own experience with sex education and how it has shaped your views on sexuality
- Engage in personal learning processes outside the classroom and challenge your current ideas and assumptions
- Visit Pro Familia, Germany’s equivalent to Planned Parenthood, and learn about their history and contemporary approach to sex education
- Go on a walking tour of Queer Berlin
- Take part in Coven Berlin - a sex-positive transdisciplinary genderbender collective focused on feminism, love, gender, sexuality, and art