ABBA, Avicii, Icona Pop, Rebecca&Fiona, Robyn, Tallest Man on Earth, and Tove Lo are just a few of Sweden’s impressive artists and global music exports. Katy Perry, Madonna, Taylor Swift, and Usher have also all worked with Swedish music producers. How can such a small nation be the world’s third largest music exporter?
In the Music Living & Learning Community (LLC), we look behind the scenes of how Sweden rocks the world of music and experience how music is an integral part of many locals’ life in Stockholm. This is your ideal LLC if you are interested in exploring Sweden’s broad range of offerings when it comes to music, from classic choir, tour music production, and DJ-ing.
You do not need to have previous experience engaging with music to be considered for this housing option. All you need is a curiosity and passion for reflecting on the study abroad experiencing through a musical lens and exploring the intersection of commercial music and cultural traditions.
Music Exploration LLC Highlights
- Achieve an overall ability to reflect upon how engaging creatively with your surroundings can positively affect your outlook on an experience
- Examine how a society creates art, and how art influences a society. Gain insight into how citizens actively use musical arts in creating quality of life and culture in the city
- Comparatively, reflect and analyze the differences in artistic approaches and traditions between Sweden and the U.S.
Examples of LLC Activities (varies each semester)
- Meet local DJs and visit underground music venues
- Visit the ABBA Museum and explore where it all started
- See music production studios and meet producers
- Attend local concerts and musical events
- Meet professional musicians (and musicians in training) from institutions like the Stockholm Opera
- Cook meals together and reflect upon your experience
Lode van der Velde
Music has the extraordinary power to call up associations to specific places in the world. As a Music Coordinator, its Lode’s goal to help form these associations during your time in Stockholm.
Lode is originally from the Netherlands, where in his younger years, he developed as a guitar player and singer and has always been open to performing music with others. Since moving to Stockholm two years ago, Lode has spent a fair share of time at music venues listening to live music, but also playing in a band himself. Whether it is listening to psychedelic rock in the basement of a small theater in Vasastan or seeing the best European DJs perform in an old abattoir, there is something for everyone in Stockholm and he is happy to show you the places that fit your musical interest and tell you more about what makes Sweden’s music scene so special!