ABBA, Avicii, Icona Pop, Rebecca&Fiona, Robyn, Tallest Man on Earth, and Tove Lo – just to name a few of Sweden’s global music exports. Katy Perry, Madonna, Taylor Swift, and Usher have also all worked with Swedish music producers. How come such a small nation is the world’s third largest music exporter?
The Music Living & Learning Community (LLC) is a housing opportunity in which you take an active role in engaging yourself in life in Stockholm through music and its connection to Swedish Culture. We will look behind the scenes of how Sweden rocks the world of music and experience how music is an integral part of many locals’ life in Stockholm. This is your ideal LLC if you are interested in exploring Sweden’s broad range of offerings when it comes to music, from classic choir, tor music production, and DJ-ing.
You do not need to have previous experience engaging with music to be considered for this housing option. All you need is a curiosity and passion to reflect on the study abroad experience through a musical lens and explore the intersection of commercial music and cultural traditions.
Commitment and Community
Being in the Music LLC means committing yourself to weekly meetings, planning and attending theme-related events throughout the semester, and actively engaging with the broader creative communities around Stockholm.
You will be challenged to build a community that creates a shared identity and values within a study abroad context, one that challenges the way you see your own identity.
Learning Objectives for the Music Community
- Achieve an overall ability to reflect upon how engaging creatively with your surroundings can positively affect your outlook on an experience
- Examine how a society creates art, and how art influences a society. Gain insight into how citizens actively use musical arts in creating quality of life and culture in the city
- Comparatively reflect and analyze the differences in artistic approaches and traditions between Sweden and the U.S.
Examples of LLC Activities (varies each semester)
- Meet local DJs and visit underground music venues
- Visit the ABBA Museum and explore where it all started
- See music production studios and meet producers
- Attend local concerts and musical events
- Meet professional musicians (and musicians in training) from institutions like the Stockholm Opera
- Cook meals together and reflect upon your experience