ABBA, Avicii, Icona Pop, Rebecca&Fiona, Robyn, Tallest Man on Earth, and Tove Lo are just a few of Sweden’s impressive artists and global music exports. Katy Perry, Madonna, Taylor Swift, and Usher have also all worked with Swedish music producers. How can such a small nation be the world’s third largest music exporter?
In the Music Living & Learning Community (LLC), we look behind the scenes of how Sweden rocks the world of music and experience how music is an integral part of many locals’ life in Stockholm. This is your ideal LLC if you are interested in exploring Sweden’s broad range of offerings when it comes to music, from classic choir, tour music production, and DJ-ing.
You do not need to have previous experience engaging with music to be considered for this housing option. All you need is a curiosity and passion for reflecting on the study abroad experience through a musical lens and exploring the intersection of commercial music and cultural traditions.
Music Exploration LLC Highlights
- Achieve an overall ability to reflect upon how engaging creatively with your surroundings can positively affect your outlook on an experience
- Examine how a society creates art, and how art influences a society. Gain insight into how citizens actively use musical arts in creating quality of life and culture in the city
- Comparatively, reflect and analyze the differences in artistic approaches and traditions between Sweden and the U.S.
Examples of LLC Activities (varies each semester)
- Meet local DJs and visit underground music venues
- Visit the ABBA Museum and explore where it all started
- See music production studios and meet producers
- Attend local concerts and musical events
- Meet professional musicians (and musicians in training) from institutions like the Stockholm Opera
- Cook meals together and reflect upon your experience