Engage With the Locals
Make a point during your summer at DIS to meet local Copenhageners, exchange perspectives, and gain a sense of intercultural understanding.
Engaging with the local culture is a part of the DIS experience, as you interact with Copenhagen locals in both your academic setting and in your housing. In your classes, you meet Danish experts and go on field studies throughout Copenhagen. Come prepared to network, ask great questions, and build your knowledge from Danish and European perspectives. While the DIS summer study abroad sessions are short, if you make an effort, you can meet local and become a part of Copenhagen.
Go Outside Your Comfort Zone
While DIS empowers you to make local contacts, be sure to make that extra effort while you are here. Make the most of each day and use your spare time to observe and be involved in the local culture.
Ways to Interact With Copenhageners
- Join a local gym
- Study at the Black Diamond Library on the waterfront
- Rent a bike and commute as Copenhageners do
- Check out the event schedule at Studenterhuset (a student union for university students from across Copenhagen)
- Catch a show at Vega
- Attend local religious services
- Volunteer at a city event with CPH Volunteers (visit this page for semester students to find out how to sign up to volunteer)
Get creative and think of your passions and interests, and see if you can find a way to pursue them while abroad!