Core Course Week, including short study tour, forms an integral part of the neuroscience curriculum by giving you a more nuanced understanding of how classroom theories apply to the real world environment. The region of Denmark and southern Sweden are home to Medicon Valley – one of Europe’s leading life science clusters and a hub for research institutions, biotech, and pharmaceutical companies.
The two-day seminar in Copenhagen and three-day study tour in western Denmark will introduce you to neuroscience research and initiatives currently happening in these innovative Scandinavian institutions and companies. Through lectures at universities, visits to research labs, and discussions with scientists and professionals, you learn how psychiatric disorders and psychoactive drugs are handled in Scandinavia.
In addition, the study tour program is supplemented with cultural visits to help you learn more about Danish history and culture and give you a more well-rounded understanding of the cultural context in which you are studying.
- Broaden your perspective on developments in neuroscience relative to psychiatric disorders and gain insight into the Scandinavian perspective
- Enhance your knowledge of psychopharmacological research, treatment, and educational methods in Scandinavia
- Expand your understanding of, and the connection between, psychopharmacological history, academic education and training, and both clinical and lab-based research
- Expose you to various neuroscience careers by visiting leading figures working within prominent neuroscience research and education institutions
- Visit world-renowned neuroscience institutions in Medicon Valley
- Visit the Aarhus Brain Collection, and integral part of the Center for Psychiatric Research at Aarhus University Hospital
- Get a historical perspective on psychiatry and patients