Taxis are a reliable way to transport quickly within the greater Copenhagen area. While they are generally easy to access, they are expensive. Copenhagen taxis start at a baseline price of 55 DKK and the price increases quickly.
Tips and Tricks for Taking a Taxi
- To hail a taxi on the street, look for the green ‘FRI’ sign in the front window – if it is lit up, then the taxi is available
- Taxis are often available on Vestergade (where DIS is located), by Gammel Torv (The Old Square) and by Hovedbanegård, Copenhagen’s Central Train Station
- Various apps allow you to book and pay for a taxi on your smartphone. We recommend you download before you think you will need them:
- Most taxis accept major credit cards. If you plan to pay with a card, let the driver know before beginning the trip
- You do not need to tip taxi drivers in Copenhagen!
Taxi Phone Numbers
You can call a taxi from any local company:
Amager-Øbro Taxi (Central Copenhagen) 27 27 27 27
Ballerup-Værløse-Herlev Taxa (NW Suburbs) 44 85 35 35
Dantaxi 70 25 25 25
Taxa 4×35 (Central Copenhagen) 35 35 35 35
TaxaMotor A/S (Central Copenhagen) 10 10 10 10
Taxa Selandia (Køge) 46 75 75 75
Taxinord (Northern Suburbs) 48 48 48 48
Vest-Taxa (Western Suburbs) 43 45 45 45
Only use officially marked taxis. Uber is illegal in Denmark. If you would like to use an app to request a taxi or car, we recommend you use the ones suggested above.
As always, use street smarts when getting yourself from point A to point B.