Copenhagen is known as the bicycling capital of the world, with 50% of Danes commuting to work by bike each day. The extensive network of bicycle lanes and infrastructure, along with the bicycle culture of Copenhagen, make it a cyclists’ paradise!
Getting lost on bicycle adventures is the perfect way to discover new areas and experience urban life as a local. On two wheels, you can explore all over the city in an afternoon!
Video: How to Bike in Copenhagen
- Always lock your bike via your back wheel lock. For additional security, buy an extra chain lock so you can lock it to something
- When going out at night, park your bike a bit away from the venue entrance, as it less likely to get stolen
- Avoid leaving your bike at main transportation stations –– i.e. Nørreport or Central Station–– for long periods of time
Parking Near DIS
- There is a bike parking area for students and staff in Vestergade 10, through the courtyard and to the right (marked with a bicycle symbol). The bike parking in Vestergade 5 is designated for staff and faculty only
- Bike parking right at DIS is not guaranteed, but there are plenty of places around DIS where you can park your bike (i.e. Gammeltorv or side streets). Finding a place to park your bike is all part of the adventure of being a cyclist in Copenhagen!
Where Can You Bring Your Bike?
|Means of Transportation||Can I Bring My Bike?||Cost?|
|Bus||Some buses (i.e. ‘S’ buses) – however, these are not common.||12 kroner (special ticket)|
|Metro||Yes, but not during rush hour (7:00-9:00, 15:30-17:30)||12 kroner (special ticket)|
|S-Tog/Train||Yes, but not during rush hour at Nørreport Station (7:30-8:30, 15:30-17:00 on weekdays)||Free|
|Harbor Bus||Yes||Bike ticket purchased at the station|
|Taxi||Yes||Additional 20 kroner|
Copenhagen Cycling Inspiration
Check out this video for inspiration on biking on positivesharing.com while you are in Copenhagen, and find out more about the urban biking scene on the blogs copenhagenize.com, and copenhagencyclechic.com – where you’ll discover how to ride in style like a Dane.