Obtaining Your Visa (Semester)

Your Danish Residence Permit

A Danish residence permit (known colloquially as ‘visa’) proves that you are in the country legally. When traveling to and from Denmark, you may be asked to show your Danish residence permit at customs to prove that you have the right to come back into the country.

DIS staff do their best to provide unofficial guidance on visa matters, however, we recommend that students with specific questions consult the Danish consulate in New York City.

Students from Entry Visa-Free Countries

If you are a student from an Entry Visa-Free Country, you may enter Denmark without a Danish residence permit and will receive a permit after arrival. You should not apply for a Danish residence permit independently and are not required to go anywhere in person in the U.S. to apply for your permit before you arrive in Denmark. However, you will begin the permit application prior to departure by submitting the necessary documents in Student Registration and will then submit your application in person at Immigration Services one week after arrival. DIS staff will assist you with this process during Arrival Week.

Students from Non Entry Visa-Free Countries 

If you are a student from a Non Entry Visa-Free Country, you are required to have a Danish residence permit to enter Denmark. You must apply for and obtain the residence permit prior to your departure. The DIS North American Office will be in touch with all students from these countries.

Further, if you come from a Non Entry Visa-Free Country, find important information about applying for additional visas for traveling on DIS Study Tours on the Study Tour FAQ page.

Students with an EU (except Nordic) Passport

If you are a student with an EU passport, you need to register at Immigration (SIRI-EU) to be eligible for applying for a CPR number. DIS staff will give instructions on how to register when you arrive.

Students with a Nordic Passport

If you are a student with a Nordic passport you do not need a Danish residence permit. DIS staff will give instructions on how to apply for a CPR number when you arrive.

When You Will Receive Your Residence Permit

  • Students from Entry Visa-Free Countries: you will receive a notification from the DIS Student Life Information Desk a few weeks after your visit to Immigration Services informing you to pick up your permit
  • Students from Non Entry Visa-Free Countries: you will receive your residence permit before you arrive at DIS

After You Have Received Your Residence Permit: Register for a Danish CPR Card

‘CPR,’ meaning ‘civil registration number,’ qualifies you as a legal resident of Denmark who can access the Danish social system and receive free health benefits. If you have a Danish Residence Permit, you must have a CPR card.

How Do I Receive a CPR Card?

The DIS Student Affairs Office will send you individualized instructions on how to apply for your CPR card. Please be sure to add the Student Affairs email (studentaffairs@dis.dk) to your ‘safe senders’ or contact list. You will register with your kommune, meaning, the municipality in the town you reside in, in Denmark. Following your visit to the kommune, you will receive your official card at your home address in Denmark, not the DIS Student Life Information Desk. If you do not receive it, make sure to contact your kommune to check on the progress.

The Schengen Region and its Laws

According to Schengen and Danish law (subject to change), if you are from an Entry Visa-Free country, you are allowed 90 days of travel within Denmark and the Schengen area within every 180-day period. The Danish residence permit will be valid from the date you applied at Immigration Services until approximately 14 days after the program is complete. The days that your permit is valid will NOT be counted towards your 90 days of visa-free travel within the Schengen area and Denmark.

If You are Traveling Before/After DIS

If you will be traveling or studying in the Schengen area for an extended amount of time before your semester start, DIS strongly advises you to contact the North American Office at 800-247-3477 to ensure that there will be no complications with your stay in Denmark. Please note that these laws are subject to change.