Apply to Become a DIS Student Homestay Ambassador
Why do we seek Homestay Ambassadors?
At DIS, we have our audience tell the story when ever we can! We’re looking for students who are having a great homestay experience and are willing to share their story and be a part of encouraging both future families here in Denmark to host, as well as future DIS students to chose the homestay option.
We know that there are always ups and downs and a period of time when a student and their family are getting to know each other that requires a lot of growth and efforts on both sides. So along with the fun and sentimental stories of how you are culturally engaging with your family, we also want to hear about the challenges you overcame.
What will we ask of you as a Homestay Ambassador?
We’ll be working with you throughout the semester and will ask you to participate in:
- An individual photo shoot (Booked at a time that works for you)
- A group photo shoot with your fellow Homestay Ambassadors (Will be arranged to occur in the first week of October)
- A written interview that will be posted on the DIS blogs for students and homestay families (see example here)
- A video interview with a fellow Homestay Ambassador (will be booked towards the end of your semester)
- Join us for a trick-or-treat at Kongens Nytorv Station on October 25th – sharing the American Halloween tradition with the locals
Why Should You Apply?
- You will be an ambassador of one of the most unique cultural opportunities of the DIS study abroad experience – helping to inspire future students and homestays and set their expectations about what the real experience is like from your perspective
- Your time spent with the Marketing & Communications Department can be noted as a non-credit internship on your future resume, and at the end of the semester, you can request a letter of recommendation or a LinkedIn recommendation to help build your resume*
- You’ll join a community of ambassadors also living in homestays
- At the end of the semester, you will be invited to celebrate with us at a thank you dinner
*Please note that this is an experience-building ambassadorship and is not a paid position.
How will my stories and photos be used?
Your stories, videos, and photos will be used across our websites, social media channels, and blogs that speak to our Danish and American audiences. Additionally, they may be additionally used in poster and online advertising in both the U.S. and in Denmark. This could include large poster advertising in train/metro stations, as well as banner ads hosted by google and/or Facebook. By participating in this project, you give permission to DIS to use media collected in these ways.
How many Ambassadors are we looking for?
We hope to work with six to eight Homestay Ambassadors this semester.
How to Apply
Apply by September 6th:
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with answers to the following questions:
- Your name
- Home University/College
- Tell us about your homestay – who are they and what makes them special to you?
- Why did you choose homestay? Be honest, it is okay if it is a decision you questioned – we want to hear about that journey.
- What is the biggest cultural difference so far you have discovered between your homestay here and your family back at home?
- What is something you or your hosts initiated in this first week together that was a good icebreaker to get to know each other?
- What is your favorite small moment you’ve shared with your family so far?
- Tell us one thing you would recommend to a future student considering choosing a homestay?