The Social Justice Living & Learning Community (LLC) is a highly selective opportunity to take an active role in engaging yourself in life in Copenhagen through the lens of justice and activism.
This is your ideal LLC if you are self-directed with an interest in civic engagement and want to move beyond critical thinking and learn how to act on your viewpoints in the local Copenhagen and global context. You don’t need to be a proven activist to join this community – just a desire to make a difference!
Social Justice LLC Highlights
- Construct an understanding of different approaches to activism through discussions with Danish and international activists and by participating in activist events
- Learn about activism/social change by engaging in your own activist activities
- Reflect on differences in both concepts and practice of social justice between Denmark and the U.S.
Examples of the Social Justice LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Promotion of global issues and international development among other students
- Organizing social campaigning events for the public
- An excursion to the Danish Greenpeace office
- Discussions with senior fellows from Humanity in Action
- Visits to local organizations such as Reden (human trafficking NGO), Refugees Welcome, and Sabaah (LGBTQ+ rights organization)
I did not expect my LLC to provide me so many touch-points with local people and politics. As an LLC, we have volunteered with society’s most marginalized groups, explored the Danish concept of happiness, and shared community dinners. Each of us are encouraged to share our perspectives, insights, and personal experiences with the hard questions we ask ourselves relating to human rights and equality. My LLC has not only provided me clarity on the topic of social justice but also regarding my role in creating lasting change.
Meet the Social Justice LLC Coordinator
Gry is an independent public service journalist, who has nine years of experience in Danish Broadcasting working primarily with public debates and politics. In this time, Gry has gained contacts across a broad range of organizations and activists, which she shares with the Social Justice LLC community. Gry has also worked as an activist developing a communications course for the Global Citizens College in Nepal and Kenya by the worldwide NGO Action Aid, and has broad experience in teaching and facilitating learning experiences across cultures. Gry has been with DIS since 2015.