The Social Justice Living & Learning Community (LLC) is a highly selective opportunity to take an active role in engaging yourself in life in Copenhagen through the lens of justice and activism.
This is your ideal LLC if you are self-directed with an interest in civic engagement and want to move beyond critical thinking and learn how to act on your viewpoints in the local Copenhagen and global context. You don’t need to be a proven activist to join this community – just a desire to make a difference!
Commitment and Community
Being in the Social Justice LLC means committing yourself to weekly meetings, planning activities aimed at increasing awareness of global issues in Copenhagen, and the DIS community and engaging with local activists and organizations aimed at eradicating injustice.
You will be challenged to build a community with a shared identity and values within a study abroad context, one that challenges the way you see your own identity. Which current affairs theme will your community focus on?
Learning Objectives for the Social Justice LLC
- Construct an understanding of different approaches to activism through discussions with Danish and international activists and by participating in activist events
- Learn about activism/social change by engaging in your own activist activities
- Reflect on differences in both concepts and practice of social justice between Denmark and the U.S.
Examples of the Social Justice LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Promotion of global issues and international development among other students
- Organizing social campaigning events for the public
- An excursion to the Danish Greenpeace office
- Discussions with senior fellows from Humanity in Action
- Visits to local organizations such as Reden (human trafficking NGO), Refugees Welcome, and Sabaah (LGBTQ rights organization)
Meet the Social Justice LLC Coordinator
Gry is an independent public service journalist, who has nine years of experience in Danish Broadcasting working primarily with public debates and politics. In this time, Gry has gained contacts across a broad range of organizations and activists, which she shares with the Social Justice LLC community. Gry has also worked as an activist developing a communications course for the Global Citizens College in Nepal and Kenya by the worldwide NGO Action Aid, and has broad experience in teaching and facilitating learning experiences across cultures. Gry has been with DIS since 2015.