The Public Health Living & Learning Community is a highly selective housing opportunity where you will engage yourself in life in Copenhagen through the lens of health.
The understanding of what healthy living means in each country depends on various factors such as culture, economy, and governmental focus as well as public interventions. The Public Health LLC offers you a unique opportunity to learn and explore cross-cultural similarities and differences between American and Danish concepts of healthy living and learn about services provided in both public and private settings.
Public Health LLC Highlights
- Gain an understanding of health initiatives for the local population in Copenhagen municipality
- Examine cross-cultural differences between American and Danish understanding of healthy living and public interventions
- Engage in dialogue with Danish professional health workers
- Build a community around your shared interest in Public Health
Examples of LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Visit the UN office in Copenhagen, together with the Social Justice LLC, to discuss women & poverty
- Learn about and discuss cultural eating habits of Danes vs. Americans from a Meat Anthropologist
- Participate in weekly meetings about health issues and cook meals together as a community
- Hear various guest speakers discuss their involvement in the health sectors of the Danish welfare system
Meet the Public Health LLC Coordinator
Since 2008, Camilla has worked as a Cultural Health Advisor in Japan and Spain, as well as an anthropologist conducting quantitative and qualitative studies in Copenhagen. In addition to coordinating the Public Health LLC, Camilla teaches the Healthcare Strategies for At-Risk Populations course at DIS. Camilla has also worked as an anthropologist in the Prevention Department at the Danish Cancer Society, and currently works with a design innovation company to develop insights about customer well-being and work environments. Camilla is excited to share her personal and professional experience with the Danish welfare system, as well as insight into daily life in Copenhagen! Camilla has been with DIS since 2015.