Arts Living & Learning Communities: Visual Arts & The Performative City
The two Arts Living & Learning Communities are highly selective housing opportunities, where you will be active in engaging yourself in Copenhagen through an artistic perspective.
An Arts LLC is your ideal housing option if you are self-motivated in exploring cultural offerings within visual arts, theater, music, dance, cinema, and architecture.
You do not need to be an artist or a performer to join; you just need a curiosity for artistic expression in general. However, the community may also decide to do artwork themselves, so be prepared to explore and use your creative side.
Two Options Within the Arts LLC to Preference
There are two sections of Arts LLCs: Visual Arts and The Performative City. Both communities use the arts as a way to shape the study abroad experience and articulate difficult questions of cultural difference and identity. The Visual Arts LLC is dedicated to visual arts and experiences confined within the four walls of a gallery*, and the Performative City LLC takes to the city’s streets to explore the intersection of art and city space*.
*See examples below
If you feel that your interests lie more specifically in one of the two Arts LLC sections, please note this on your housing application. This will allow DIS to find the best housing match for your particular interests.
Commitment and Community
Being in the Arts LLCs means committing yourself to actively engaging with the broader local art communities.
You will be challenged to build a community that creates a shared identity and values within a study abroad context, and one that challenges the way you see your own identity.
Learning Objectives for the Arts Communities
- Achieve an overall ability to reflect on how engaging in the arts can positively affect your outlook and challenge your values
- Examine aspects of urban life and gain insight into how citizens can actively use and interact with public space to enrich quality of life and culture in the city
- Gain an understanding of contemporary Danish art and urban culture. What makes a piece of art intriguing and engaging? Does it have to be pretty or skillfully made to deserve a white cube setting?
- Venture beyond the city’s most iconic art exhibitions and gain insight into what is stirring in Copenhagen’s underground art scene, and how less established Danish artists work
- Compare and analyze the different approaches to art and urban culture in Denmark and the U.S.
*Examples of Visual Arts LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Take a guided tour of Vesterbro’s small, niche galleries
- Watch screenings of avant-garde films
- Practice croquis sketching
*Examples of The Performative City LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Attend concerts and performance at underground venues and create collaborative art project inspired by these art scenes
- Take part in an artsy scavenger hunt around Nørrebro – Copenhagen’s hippest neighborhood
- Engage in experimental dance performances and be part of a video art workshop
Meet the Arts LLC Coordinator
Sophie is an experimental culture enthusiast and has been working with the production of site-specific dance, theater, performance, and art shows for many years. She earned her Master’s degree in Urban Planning and Performance Design from Roskilde University, where she explored links between art, cities, and citizens in the context of Copenhagen.
Sophie is especially interested in the way artistic events are given additional poetic dimensions when performed in urban spaces, and how creativity and aesthetics can enhance the quality of urban life. Sophie has been involved with the Arts LLC since 2014, and is excited to explore the city for artistic performances with you.