Arts Living & Learning Community: Visual Arts & The Performative City
The Arts Living & Learning Community is a highly selective housing opportunity, where you will be active in engaging yourself in Copenhagen through an artistic perspective.
The Arts LLC is your ideal housing option if you are self-motivated in exploring cultural offerings within visual arts, theater, music, dance, cinema, and architecture.
You do not need to be an artist or a performer to join; you just need a curiosity for artistic expression in general. However, the community may also decide to do artwork themselves, so be prepared to explore and use your creative side.
The community of the Arts LLC use the arts as a way to shape the study abroad experience and articulate difficult questions of cultural difference and identity.
On one hand the program will introduce you to different aspects of the contemporary art scene in Copenhagen, on the other hand the excursions and artistic project will work as a fertile ground to grow as a community and to develop meaningful friendships within the LLC.
Commiment and Community
Being in the Arts LLCs means committing yourself to actively engaging with the broader local art communities.
You will be challenged to build a community that creates a shared identity and values within a study abroad context, and one that challenges the way you see your own identity.
Learning Objectives for the Arts Communities
- Achieve an overall ability to reflect on how engaging in the arts can positively affect your outlook and challenge your values
- Gain an understanding of contemporary Danish art and urban culture. What makes a piece of art intriguing and engaging? Does it have to be pretty or skillfully made to deserve a white cube setting? And what about our own participation: how does that shape the works or the exhibitions
- Venture beyond the city’s most iconic art exhibitions and gain insight into what is stirring in Copenhagen’s underground art scene, and how less established Danish artists work.
- Compare and analyze the different approaches to art and urban culture in Denmark and the U.S.
Examples of the Arts LLC Activities (may vary each semester)
- Take a guided tour of Vesterbro’s small, niche galleries
- Visit exhibition venues you otherwise would not have encountered
- Watch screenings of avant-garde films
- Practice croquis sketching, collaborate on art zines
Meet the Arts LLC Coordinator
Amanda loves the contemporary arts, whether performative, visual or otherwise. She has a keen interest in how new, unestablished artistic venues (both physical and virtual) challenge the larger art insitutions, thus destabilizing what we thought we knew about art and aesthetics. Being a true ’Copenhagener’ she is very passionate about sharing everything she knows about venues and areas on the rise, as well as engaging in discussions of more established artistic practices.
Professionally Amanda holds an M.A. in art history from the University of Copenhagen focusing on the physical encounter between works and bodies, and she has worked with both museum fundraising and educational project managing within the art world. With DIS since 2019.