Would you like to explore the vibrant music scene of Copenhagen while studying abroad? Do you sing, play an instrument, and have an interest in music? Whether you’re into Jazz, Rock, Opera, Classical Music, Folk or Singer Songwriting, Denmark offers a variety of venues that will satisfy your curiosity. From deep underground to mainstream pop – we’ll explore venues, meet artists, play, sing, engage in activities on and off stage, and get acquainted with the very special vibe of Copenhagen music.
The LLC community will create music, play, and sing together while also experiencing how music is an integral part of the lives of many locals. This is your ideal LLC if you are interested in exploring and being a part of Denmark’s vibrant music scene, from alternative rock, swing jazz, pop, rock production, and DJ-ing.
To be considered for this housing option you should have some previous experience with music and have a curiosity and passion for reflecting on the study abroad experiencing through a musical lens. If you play an instrument, be sure to bring it.
Commitment and Community
Being in the Music LLC means committing yourself to actively engaging with the broader creative communities around Copenhagen.
You are challenged to build a community that creates a shared identity and values within a study abroad context, one that challenges the way you see your own identity.
- Explore your passion for music through a new lens, while playing, creating and learning about music in a Scandinavian context
- Venture beyond the DIS community, to collaborate and participate in local music communities
- Gain insight into how local citizens actively use the musical arts to create shared cultural spaces in the city, and how this contributes to a particular quality of life in Copenhagen
- Develop an understanding of the business behind distributing music in Copenhagen, and how this perhaps differs to contexts, you are already familiar with
Examples of LLC Activities
These vary each semester.
- Organize a Music & Literature festival, for locals and the DIS community
- Meet and play along with local musicians, who are returning to a 100-year old Danish Folk Music tradition, now with a modern twist!
- Participate in songwriting workshops
- Visit several music communities, which you will be encouraged to become a part of while you are in Copenhagen
About the LLC Coordinator
Karina is a professional musician and songwriter in Copenhagen. She released her debut album in April 2016 and won a prestigious Danish prize for her work. Karina has a unique knowledge of the Copenhagen music scene – the underground venues, the studios, and the musicians. She will draw on all of her experience and network to get you as close to the Danish music scene, creative processes, and professional music life. Karina has been with DIS since 2016.