What is a Career Connection Homestay?
Like in a Homestay, a Career Connection Homestay will put you in direct contact with locals, as you will be matched with a host(s) in the greater Copenhagen area who is interested in inviting you into their home. However, in this housing option, there is an added focus on networking and professional development. Hosts in the Career Connection Homestay will take you to visit their workplace, talk through your ideas on your future career, and share insights from their own work experiences. This housing option provides the opportunity to develop networking and interpersonal skills and gain insights to help you transition from university to your future career, while also having a home base to return to at the end of the day. At the end of the semester, you will receive a diploma testifying to the intercultural and interpersonal skills achieved through your Career Connection Homestay experience.
Who are the hosts?
In the Career Connection Homestay, the hosts are as diverse as in classic Homestays. You might be matched with a family with children, single parents, couples, LGBTQ households, non-ethnic Danish families, etc. who have all been visited and approved by DIS staff. Career Connection hosts are interested in sharing their professional experiences, industry knowledge as well as insights into work life in Denmark, and want to help facilitate your interactions with the local professional community in a meaningful way.
They can act as mentors to you, but are also interested in your perspective, as someone coming from another country. Hosts are often busy professionals themselves, so you will receive a partial food stipend to help with your groceries, as your host might not be home every night to cook dinner. You will therefore have to be quite independent in this option – while also interested in getting to know your local host.
This is a unique opportunity for students who are seeking professional development while abroad. You do not need to have a specific major or academic background to apply for this option. You just need to have an interest in learning about different career paths in an international setting and gaining insight into Danish work life.
This housing option is right for you if you are willing to:
- Be independent
- Balance spending time with your hosts, hanging out with friends, and participating in events hosted by DIS for you and other students living in Career Connection Homestays
- Live in a private house or apartment in the metropolitan area
- Commute from home to DIS using the many choices of public transportation available in Copenhagen
- Have your own room or share an adequately sized room with another DIS student
- Share some dinners with your host but also do your own grocery shopping (with help from the partial food stipend) and cook for yourself
- Prepare your own breakfast and packed lunch
- Share a bathroom with other members of the household
- Help with household chores and share cleaning responsibilities for your own room, as well as common areas such as the kitchen, bathroom, and living room
- Engage in discussions with your hosts and fellow Career Connection students
There will be at least one visit to your host’s place of work, where you have an opportunity to experience the local professional community
- You will be in a networking group with all other students living in a Career Connection Homestay. DIS facilitates learning and social events for the group throughout the semester, where you can network and share insights. We will work with you to tailor opportunities that meet your needs and that connect you with professionals in multiple fields, including business and entrepreneurship, science and health, education, and the arts
- DIS holds three Career Nights over the semester where you will:
1. Learn about Danish business culture and get advice on finding jobs/internships and optimizing your resume
2. Meet business professionals who have worked in multiple countries and will share insights into international careers
3. Do mock interviews with HR professionals
By contributing to a community based on professional development, you are given an ideal platform to explore, discuss, and reflect on the various cross-cultural, professional experiences that you will inevitably encounter while studying abroad.
Commitment and Community
Living in the Career Connection Homestay is more than just a housing option: You must be willing to put in extra time and effort beyond your academic work to be an active participant during the career and social activities. In return, you have the chance to grow your network, gain valuable experience from local professionals, and become part of a tight-knit community furthering your professional development while studying abroad. At the end of the semester, you will receive a diploma testifying to the intercultural and interpersonal skills achieved through your Career Connection Homestay experience.
Highlights & Learning Objectives
- Unique Cultural Experiences
Living with a host that is committed to you and your experience provides you with a support network outside of DIS, as well as an opportunity for intercultural exchange
- Professional Development
Gain knowledge about Danish work culture through the visit(s) to your host’s workplace and the Career Nights arranged by DIS
- Networking and Interpersonal Skills
You can potentially gain a lasting connection to your host, as well as other professionals in Denmark. You will also be a part of the Career Connection Homestay student community, building a diverse network of professionally minded people
- Personal Growth
The career activities, as well as discussions with your host and fellow Career Connection Homestay students, will encourage you to reflect on your goals while gaining new perspectives on your future career
What This Housing Option Provides
To find out what is included in each housing option, go to Comprehensive Housing and Student Affairs Inclusions.
You will preference your housing choices during the registration process.
As part of your housing application, you must write a letter to your potential hosts. In addition to introducing yourself to a potential host, this letter is also an important tool used to match you with the most compatible Career Connection Homestay, so be as honest and detailed as possible.
We cannot guarantee placement in the Career Connection Homestay for all applicants.